Panasonic UJ-850 Problem

The DVDs I burned with my UJ-850 using DVD Shrink and Nero can only be viewed on my laptop and other desktops but not on stand-alone DVD players (Toshiba, Lite-On). Does anyone know if the Panasonic has built-in mechanism that would prevent the DVDs from being viewed on anything but a computer? I’ve tried it on 2 different UJ-850s using different media (TDK and Maxell DVD-R and DVD-RW) but the results are the same - “Disc Error” or “Disc Failed”. Thx.

[QUOTE=EYG;1920097]The DVDs I burned with my UJ-850 using DVD Shrink and Nero can only be viewed on my laptop and other desktops but not on stand-alone DVD players (Toshiba, Lite-On). Does anyone know if the Panasonic has built-in mechanism that would prevent the DVDs from being viewed on anything but a computer? I’ve tried it on 2 different UJ-850s using different media (TDK and Maxell DVD-R and DVD-RW) but the results are the same - “Disc Error” or “Disc Failed”. Thx.[/QUOTE]

Nope!

Use better media.

Hi EYG, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

If your UJ-850S drive is anything like my Matshita UJ-840S drive (Panasonic and Matshita are two brands of the same company), then I suggest you try the following:

• Burn your DVDs at 4x or 6x - NOT at 8x.
  • Try getting some Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+/-R media, which is the only DVD media that my drive likes.

You might also be creating discs that don’t follow the DVD Video standard, e.g. if you use DVD Shrink to create files and then burn with Nero in the wrong format.

I suggest using DVD Shrink to create an ISO image and then burn that ISO image with Nero or another dedicated disc image burning program such as e.g. ImgBurn.

Hi DrageMester,

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll give it a try tonight.

What I don’t understand is: If it was a problem with the media, why would the finished disc played on the optical drives that are attached to my computers? I’ve gone through over a 100 of those TDK media with no problems before I got a new laptop with the Panasonic in it.

One thing I forgot to mention was: when I transferred the files I burnt onto those discs onto another pc I got, then burned them on another set of TDK using DVD Shrink and Nero again (this time with an LG burner), the finished product would play on my stand-alone DVD players. (My LG may be burning at a lower speed though. This I’ll have to check). This seems to suggest to me that the Panasonic is more likely the source of my problems.

Optical drives on computers are usually better readers than optical drives in standalone DVD players, so they will often read discs that don’t play in standalone DVD players.

The DVD playing software on a computer is also less strict about the format of a DVD and will often play a disc that has thwe wrong filesystem format, when that same disc would be unplayable in DVD players.

Panasonic/Matshita drives are not considered good quality DVD burners - mine is almost/completely unusable with most DVD media, with the exception of Taiyo Yuden 16x rated media.

Well, I got myself a batch of TY 16x DVD-R and burned them at a slower speed and got the same results. In fact, I’m beginning to think it is a software problem more than a hardware problem. Why? I turned my old LG burner into an external drive and ended up with the same problem I have with the Panasonic.

I was using XP before my desktop died and had no problem burning discs. Could Vista be the problem? One major difference I noticed with the burning process is: with XP, the disc was ejected from the drive automatically when the burning was through. With my laptop using Vista, the disc is not ejected automatically and gets finalized only when I hit “eject.” The message on my screen then says something like “preparing the disc to be used on another [B]computer[/B]”. Could this be the source of my problem?

Depending on what prefs are set, vi$ta will prepare DVDs with their own new Filesystem for usage…

Have you tried my suggestion to create an ISO image and burn that?

[quote=DrageMester;1921190]You might also be creating discs that don’t follow the DVD Video standard, e.g. if you use DVD Shrink to create files and then burn with Nero in the wrong format.

I suggest using DVD Shrink to create an ISO image and then burn that ISO image with Nero or another dedicated disc image burning program such as e.g. ImgBurn.[/quote]

Hi chef,

How may I check/change the prefs in Vista?

Hi DrageMester,

How do I create an ISO image? Could you give me a few pointers, please?

If the files on the “failed” discs are the problem, why would they work if I re-burn them onto another disc using a second pc that’s running on XP and an older version of Nero? This is what I don’t understand.

[quote=EYG;1923755]How do I create an ISO image? Could you give me a few pointers, please?[/QUOTE]Change the Backup Target to “ISO Image File” in DVD Shrink:

If the files on the “failed” discs are the problem, why would they work if I re-burn them onto another disc using a second pc that’s running on XP and an older version of Nero? This is what I don’t understand.
The files need to be in the right format of course, but the filesystem also needs to be in the right format (UDF 1.02 + ISO 9660 Bridge) in order for a DVD to conform to the DVD Video standard and be playable in a standalone player. If you write the files to a DVD with the wrong filesystem type, then it will not be playable in a standalone player (but it will probably play on your computer).

[QUOTE=EYG;1923753]Hi chef,

How may I check/change the prefs in Vista?[/QUOTE]

No idea, I dont use such bugged Software…
But there should be some option within the burning app/tool.