Thanks a lot!

[QUOTE=remco66;2560472]Hi folks

i wanted to ask some advise on what blu-ray discs to useā€¦

blank ones ofcourse:cool:

i saw brands like verbatimā€¦mediarangeā€¦platinum

and mediarange[cheapā€¦maxellā€¦

its a external player thru usb 3

Thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

Panasonic is the best brand, but you might pay more for it. I know from personal experience that the following brands work well with the UJ-240 (also a Panasonic drive) and you can get them through digistor.com

Panasonic 50GB
http://www.digistor.com/Products/50GB-Blu-ray-Blank-Disc

DIGISTOR Brand 25GB
http://www.digistor.com/25-GB-Blu-ray-Blank-Disc

there is a 20% off coupon code on 50GB media on facebook promo page, facebook.com/digistor

hmm i cannot find that digistore brand in my country
the netherlands

You canā€™t go wrong with Verbatim media I would say ā€¦ just make sure you stay away from LTH-type ones and go for middle of the road ones (4x or 2x) which are likely to be decently supported by the firmware. The latest ones (6x) might not be supported yet, and since typically you stand a better chance of being hit by a meteorite than getting a Matshita/Panasonic firmware update ā€¦ then you better go for media which is supported.

Having said that, as the name MatSHITa suggests, its better to stay away from this brand. Writing quality of Matshita drives is generally poor, even on good quality media, and the firmware support is atrocious, if it even exists that is (depends on the OEM supplying them - with Sony, NEC or Dell you stand a decent chance to get firmware updates, while OEMā€™s such as Acer or HP almost never bother to support their customers by releasing ODD firmware updates).

so i bought a poor quality burner?

i thought panasonic was always good?

what a waist of money

more like a ā€¦wasteā€¦

i mean waste ofcourse[QUOTE=remco66;2561229]so i bought a poor quality burner?

i thought panasonic was always good?

what a waist of money[/QUOTE]

I have to say this: matsushita is who make the burners ok from the beginning of the technology (at the early stage) and yes, itā€™s true that ā€œyou stand a better chance of being hit by a meteorite than getting a Matshita/Panasonic firmware updateā€ i have to admit it. But I had the best compatibility from panasonic/matsushita drives (DVD burners at least) specially when i had to burn mediocre (crappy) cheap blank media.

Believe me smething, mate: Both crappy and medium quality media had horrible PIE/PIF scans when I burned with LiteOn, Samsung (mediatek), LG (renesas), except with Pioneer (NEC) or Optiarc (NEC too) ā€¦ this was hundreds of burnings and scans with multiple combinations of Chipsets, Brands of media, different firmware configurations, testing between MID from each blank media I put my hands on, and testing burns with each speed possible.

All this long and sad story to tell you: If in my country were possible for me grab that ā€˜ā€˜bad choiceā€™ā€™ UJ240, I would buy at least three units for sure, with my eyes wide shut. One more word to say: I remember reviews from Sony burners (both DVD and BD) at very early beginning being built with chipsets from Panasonic/matshita, selling it at crazy prices and then change to Mediatek chipsets (lite-on rebags) cutting prices down and ā€œworking hardā€ coding a bunch of Firmware updates only to keep having horrible mediatek (LiteOn or Samsung) scans with my budget and ā€˜medium qualityā€™ media (i.e. GSC003 - MaxMax brand 8x -R, CMCMAG??? 16x -R, and some TaiyoYuuden Fakes like the Picasso brand I have found in a ā€˜ChiTownā€™ mall in my city (Valencia -Venezuela-) all burned and scanned at every possible speed ) and having reading errors when played on consoles or movie players.

Yes, I know I am guilty for buying that pieces of sh*t. I swear I would buy all the premium Verbatims and Taiyoā€™s you want me to grab, but Iā€™ll just say the vendors treat me like I was some kind of alien when I mention brands like these.

None of this happens when I recorded those ā€˜cost effectiveā€™ discs with panasonic/matsushita drives. I understand that the best many users can get is Pioneer (NEC), Optiarc (NEC), Plextor (NEC) etc, when it comes to DVD, and I totally agree with them. Still, as user of all these units, I regret not getting matsushita chipset units as easily as I would like.