Panasonic to release new Blu-ray Disc drives for PCs and non-cartridge Blu-ray Discs next spring

I just posted the article Panasonic to release new Blu-ray Disc drives for PCs and non-cartridge Blu-ray Discs next spring.

The new optical disc
drives support single- and dual-layer Blu-ray Discs, all recordable DVDs and
CDs

Osaka, Japan -
Panasonic, the leading brand for which Matsushita Electric…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10958-Panasonic-to-release-new-Blu-ray-Disc-drives-for-PCs-and-non-cartridge-Blu-ray-Discs-next-spring.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10958-Panasonic-to-release-new-Blu-ray-Disc-drives-for-PCs-and-non-cartridge-Blu-ray-Discs-next-spring.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Oh well. Look at the ACSS specs and you’ll :puke: It’s sad (yet).

For recording they will be great. Forget pre-recorded material though. Anyhow will it have dual layer 50GB writing? Or only single layer recording/reading and dual layer reading? The article is confusing. And what is the expected price for the writer and the media? Also do they have re-writable or are they only write once media? These questions need clearing up.

“the new BD drives support recording and playback of both single- and dual-layer BDs” Seems pretty clear to me. Must have been tired when you read it.

boycott the blood radicals of the 21st century bring them to their knees do not be mercifull do not give your hard earned dough untill they bough to our wants we want to back up what we have paid good money for but they want us all to go and buy hi def BO thanx dvd is just fine for ONCE we have the upper hand and can kill it befor it begins !!!

Wonder how much they will cost ?

Your soul?

Very interesting! I thought BenQ/Philips would be the first to market with a Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive. Let’s see who wins the race!

Which race? The race to get a drive out to the market which only the insanely rich can buy. I’m waiting for the race for someone to bring out a drive EVERYBODY can afford, then I’ll declare them the winner. Besides having a nice new Blu-ray drive sitting in your computer means diddly-squat if you can’t affor some media to put in it. I’ll be closely watching for someone to bring out affordable media to the market first as well.

I thought Pioneer has a working prototype BD-R drive (the one that couldn’t read/write CDs) now that they were saying could be released by the end of year at a $500 price range. That’s not bad for first generation pricing.

It seems that the life of DVD-ROM will be shorter than the life of its predecesor: CD-ROM… This will be true only if price of BD is acceptable for consumers. If the BD drives, and more important, the price of media is very high, so I have to tell: LONG LIFE TO DVD±R/RW/RAM

You may mean the life of writable DVD was shorter than writable BD. For pressed stuff, though, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and BD-ROM would be used for whatever would require that level of capacity. It will eventually be cheaper to use BDs, but why put only like 3.5 GB on a BD that holds 25+ GB and few will be able to read, compared to DVD-ROM? It would make more sense to use DVD-ROM for that. For 1.4 GB & less, just using CD-ROM with a decent lossless compression format (like 7z, RAR, or even ZIP) for distributed software & game programs would work fine.
[edited by adam917 on 19.10.2005 20:36]
[edited by adam917 on 19.10.2005 20:37]