Panasonic to release Blu-ray discs that last 50 years

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Panasonic to release Blu-ray discs that last 50 years[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/08/myce-panasonic-bd-r-premium-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/panasonic-to-release-blu-ray-discs-that-last-50-years-68589/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Looks to me as if they demand a surcharge now for their former standard product made in Japan while the mass production is beeing outsourced to India.:sad:

They used to claim a 50 year life on their regular blurays but they’ve removed that claim even though they’re still made in Japan (hope they don’t move to India).
The French study though showed that the claim has base and their blurays should last for many years.
I’m not sure what’s so different about these discs. Maybe better quality control.

[QUOTE=aiolos;2697758]They used to claim a 50 year life on their regular blurays but they’ve removed that claim even though they’re still made in Japan (hope they don’t move to India). [/QUOTE]Some people even clarified with Panasonic that nothing changed with the discs when the logo was removed. Panasonic claimed it was removed to allow for the Olympic rings to be put on the packaging.

And how many years a standard BD-R last? 50 years sounds not good enough to challenge M-Disc

BTW, most of my CD-Rs are after more than 10 years are still class 2, DVD+R/-R from TY shows much higer PI/PIF after 7-8 years

And in some tests the DVD-media is better than the BD.

Are the content-mafia force the writable-media-manufacturers to make media that don´t last long?

[QUOTE=Wischmop;2697774]DVD+R/-R from TY shows much higer PI/PIF after 7-8 years[/QUOTE]That’s interesting considering TY claims the discs have a 100 year life.

Yeah, I know about the logo, I read that thread too. Still I wonder what is so special about these discs…

In my understanding, BD-Rs inorganic dye (HTL of course) makes them more stable that DVDs, but we’ll have to wait and see.

The vast majority of bd’rs made are LTH…? it was my understanding that the premium of HTL discs was the reason they had lower error rates (similar to the preference for most burners to burn dvd+r) and are suitable for archival purposes. They are also not mass produced in the same quantities as regular discs. Again, price & manufacturing costs are the factors.

It should be possible for high quality media to come from other countries other than Japan too. Blu ray’s have been around for quite a while and there is some coalescence around a new disc format coming out soon that will be anywhere between 100 and 250gigaytes (by late 2015). There will likely be no format war this time around. The big decision is on how much data people will want to have “at risk” on an optical disc-- especially when it’s for data back/archival.

@Stereodude

They are alive, but some of the TY show higher error-rates than most of my RITEKG05. Direct after burning the G05 were ok, TY awsome.

Best experiences I have with my old DVD-R from MCC, TYG01 also not that bad, but the quality decreases with 8x-media

And it´s fact (in my case) that my DVD+R show higer error-rates after some year than DVD-R. So much about “Why DVD+R is superior to -R …”

So I know the error-rates direct afer burning means not much to error-rates after some years