Panasonic Model Feature List

vbimport

Quick Model Feature List:

DMR-ES15
Progressive Scan DVD Recorder with DV input - Records to DVD-RAM/-R/-RW/+R/+RW Discs

DMR-ES15S = DNR-ES15 in silver color. One DVD-Ram disc included.
DVR-ES25S = DMR-ES25 in silver color. No HDMI cable or SD card included.
DMR-ES46VS = DMR-ES45VS made for some store chains. HDMI cable is included.

DMR-ES25 = DMR-ES15 with HDMI output and SD Card Slot Added
DMR-ES35VS = DMR-ES15 with built in VCR Added
DMR-ES45VS = DMR-ES25 with built in VCR and EZ Sync Control (IR Blaster) Added
DMR-EH55S = DMR-ES45VS with 200GB HDD in place of the VCR, EZ Sync Control (IR Blaster)
DMR-EH75S = DMR-ES45VS with built in VCR, EZ Sync Control (IR Blaster) and 80GB HDD

Note: All the 2006 DMR Recorders use the same basic DVD Drive and have the same Record Playback Specifications. Prices range from about $130 to $500 depending on features.
Unlike many Combo Recorders the ES35VS,ES45VS,ES46VS and EH75S will work with a Video Enhancer.
Some Model Numbers end in V rather than VS (V is black version VS silver version) Panasonic also uses a K for the black version. ES15 & ES25 recorders do not have built in fans.

DMR-ES15: This base model has great Picture Quality without the extras. A BEST BUY
DMR-ES25: This step model costs about $50 more than the ES15.
DMR-ES35VS: This budget level combo DVD/VCR costs about $140 more than the ES15.
DMR-ES45VS: This is the step combo DVD/VCR, costs only about $30 more than the ES35VS. A BEST BUY
DMR-EH55S: This step up model offers a large 200GB HDD in place of a VCR, but costs about $500.
DMR-EH75S: This step up model had both VCR and HDD, cost the same as the EH55S, but the HDD is smaller.

DMR-EZ17: This base model has great Picture Quality without the extras. A
for 2007 adds Digital Tuner, inproved rec to DL, auto finalize.
DMR-EZ27: This step model costs about $50 more than the EZ17.
for 2007 adds EZSync, DivX playback [A BEST BUY]

New Panasonic Unit:
Panasonic DMR-EX475VK

In addition, the DMR-EZ27 and the DMR-EX47 series models are better choices than their DMR-EZ17 and DMR-EX37 series siblings if you’re going to connect a standard DVD recorder to an HDTV set because the EZ27/EX47 can upsample DVD output whereas the EZ17/EX37 cannot. And if the player cannot upsample its output, that output will then have to be scaled upwards by the HDTV set itself (which degrades picture quality). To add to that, the EZ27/EX47 can play DivX videos and feature an SD memory card slot, whereas the EZ17/EX37 lacks both of those features.

CCRomeo,

Thank you for all the research you provide here. Below is a partial quote from your 24-1-2007 Panasonic feature list. I have two questions on combination DVR and VHS recorders:

I presently use a [B]Panasonic DMR-ES25[/B] with complete satisfaction. I record from broadcast TV or from my VHS VCR on to DVD-R or DVD-RW. I am thinking of getting a new DVR with digital tuner (USA), and possibly with an internal VHS player, and maybe even a hard drive built-in (last item is a very low priority).

My questions: [I]what current models[/I] of Panasonic or other will allow me to use my video stabilizer when I record from the VHS to the DVR? And is there any sacrifice of quality when using a combo DVR/VHS versus using an external VCR as the source (what I am now doing).

To explain, I have a large number of movies in VHS, and I am satisfied with the quality of the DVDs I’m presently making from these older VHS tapes as I work my way through them.

Will the combo unit may make the job easier, and at least as good image quality?

I also have several dozen athletic game tapes recorded from TV as well – video stabilizer not necessary for these. How will they look recorder from an internal VCR vs. external as I am now doing?

Thank you for your help.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1676060]Quick Model Feature List:

Unlike many Combo Recorders the ES35VS,ES45VS,ES46VS and EH75S will work with a Video Enhancer.

[/QUOTE]

You’re not going to get much better than your ES-25 and a good VCR feeding it. The picture quality of combo units are very comparable to good separates.
Current EZ Panasonic combos lack many of the features the older ES series combos had. I’ve read all Panasonic combos allow a external filter to be inserted between the two sections but personally I’ve only used ES series combos.
The only DVDR made with a VHS and HDD is the very prized (non digital) ES-75v. Good luck finding a used one for much less than $500 if that.
I’m using a converter box with my ES-25 and it makes recordings that I’d describe as 90-95% as good as the current EZ series machines, and a whole lot less buggy than the EZ machines.
BTW if interested in a thread talking about various Panasonic models and brief features you should check out this thread that I started, it’s currently a work in progress.
click

Thanks, Jeff. I wonder if you have any non-Panasonic favorites?

I personally really like Panasonic DVDRs for 2 main reasons. #1 is the ability to record up to 4hrs of full D1 resolution to a standard DVD. Almost every other DVDR drops to 1/2 D1 on any speed above 2hrs/disc. My#2 reason is the FR mode. Using FR I’m able to get about 3hrs of full resolution with minimal macroblocking to a standard disc. With FR one can also have a choice of speeds anywhere from 1hr up to 8hrs/disc. The late Pioneers also had something similar to FR but not quit as easy to use (IMO).

All my DVDRs are Panasonics but if I had to choose something else I’d probably get a Pioneer (only Canada currently sells Pioneers and there are rumors they will not be around much longer). Of the US models I’d probably look at a Philips 3575/6 or Magnavox 2160 of which both are getting harder and harder to find. Both the Philips and Maggy have 160gb HDDs and a digital tuner but no VHS section. Pioneers have the HDD but again no VHS.

Well, I guess I was lucky to have started with the Panasonic in the first place.

I had bo idea the FR was so exclusive to Panasonic. I use that feature almost always – especially when recording a tv show. i set the start time at 1 or 2 mins before the hour, then the stop time 2 min after the hour (2 hr 3min), and set the speed to FR. I would not consider a machine without the flexible recording feature.

Thanks for your replies!

I own the DMR-EZ28 DVD recorder (no VCR) and I agree about the FR feature. It is a “life saver” because many TV documentaries I record end literally SECONDS before the hour so the very end may be cut off if I set the scheduled recording to start on the hour and end exactly on the hour. I record almost exclusively (so far) using LP. That means a DVD- or + R (single layer) accepts 4 hours exactly of recordings. But with FR (flexible recording), the unit can adjust the recording quality (audio and/or video) to make the program FIT into the remaining space in the disc. This FR can be used in scheduled programming and in manual recording too.

Very handy and a big money and disc-saver feature!

John
Montreal, Canada