Panasonic introduces new-generation UniPhier System LSI (Press Release)

I just posted the article Panasonic introduces new-generation UniPhier System LSI (Press Release).

Panasonic, the leading brand by which Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is known, starts sample shipment of a new-generation UniPhier® system LSI (PH1-ProII = nickname, MN2WS0038) from…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13784-Panasonic-introduces-new-generation-UniPhier-System-LSI-Press-Release.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13784-Panasonic-introduces-new-generation-UniPhier-System-LSI-Press-Release.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 “It can compress full-HD large image data down to one third to half that of the conventional methods while keeping high level definition.” This codec from my understanding has been around for a little while. I am not a video expert but wouldn’t a regular DVD hold a HD movie in H.264. Assuming this is the case, couldn’t companies have made small modifications to current dvd players and avoided HD-DVD and Blu-ray? If I am completely wrong I appologise. :wink:

That would be a fair assumption. That’s what HD Divx players do…

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, too. But then again, DVD has been cracked. The studios needed new DRM. Not that it matters cuz the new DRM is cracked, too. What a crazy situation.

H.264 requires a fair bit of processing power to decode bitstreams. Current DVD players would not be up to the job. Even the early HD DVD and Blu-ray players couldn’t handle H.264 decoding (Only MPEG-2).

H.264 requires a fair bit of processing power to decode bitstreams. Current DVD players would not be up to the job. Even the early HD DVD and Blu-ray players couldn’t handle H.264 decoding (Only MPEG-2).

>Even the early HD DVD and Blu-ray players couldn’t handle >H.264 decoding (Only MPEG-2). Every HD DVD and Blu-ray player on the market supports Mpeg2, H.264 and VC1. It’s mandatory (just search for the spec on the web if you don’t believe me). So please stop spreading FUD…

I was talking about the FIRST HD DVD and Blu-ray players, not the current ones. They did not handle H.264 processing. I’m fully aware of the decoding capabilities of current HD DVD and Blu-ray players so just shut the f**k up, idiot. Learn to read what I wrote before engaging your pea brain.
This message was edited at: 16-10-2007 03:35