Panasonic first to manufacture DVD-RAM discs in U.S

I just posted the article Panasonic first to manufacture DVD-RAM discs in U.S..

Domestic production of RAM discs
to spark format’s acceptance TORRANCE, CA (October 14, 2004) - In a move designed to further advance the acceptance of recordable DVD…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9247-Panasonic-first-to-manufacture-DVD-RAM-discs-in-U_S_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9247-Panasonic-first-to-manufacture-DVD-RAM-discs-in-U_S_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Who care about dvd-ram, try ramp up DL disc production and sell it for $1.

Let’s see. To encourage DVD-RAM adoption in the USA, they want to produce it there. For a country where people buy stuff based on price, they want to produce the product in a country where wages are high and plants get closed on a regular basis because unions want ever higher wages… Yup that’ll work out.

Guys, DVD-RAM media is expensive and rare right now because it is mostly manufactured in Japan. If they manage to make it in the states for cheap (and you know the quality will be better then the stuff comming out of Taiwan/India), it wil deffinetly help. I hope they’ll make 5x discs and not the crap 2x ones. Adi

Quite frankly my dear I couldn’t give a ram. Memory stick! DVD-RAM!, I’m sure somebody will buy it.

If you look at the number of times you can write to a DVD-RAM (100 000) agst the one for DVD (-or+)RW (1000), the forecasted lifespan 100 years for RAM agst 15/30 for R/RW, the system seeing it as just a HDD instead as the RW that needs the packet writing software (with all the known probs), maybe realnewbie question should be reformulated, and we should ask: why is this format being left behind? Ok Dual layer may be interesting , but if we are after capacity it will not last long for us to consider it as an option - with blue-ray in the way or some other media we don’t know about yet. at 4.7 GB, being seen as an HDD and with not reading probs as the ones with the several flavours of UDF, yes I think we should care and wish to get it at 5x.

I’ve never seen anyone claim 100 year longevity for DVD-RAM. From OSTA’s document here: “Generally speaking, manufacturers claim life spans ranging from 30 to 100 years for DVD-R and DVD+R discs and up to 30 years for DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM.” Why the DVD-RAM is left behind? 1. It’s slow (both to read and write). 2. Bad compatibility. 3. More expensive than DVD±RW.

DVD-RAM is the most secure DVD format currently and as you stated, it has its drawbacks. Yes, it probably won’t last more then a DVD-+R because it’s still a Phase-CHange based disc, BUT, you can be sure that what you write on it, you can read it back 100% during the span of it’s life due to its superior defect management system and disc quality/protection. It is the best DVD format when it comes to peace of mind for your data, hands down. It will also reach 16x unlike DVD-+RW due to the new BCM phase change formulation that Maxell recently unveiled/invented.

The DVD-RAM bashing reaches new heights. Enjoy your DVD-RW and DVD+RWs, and your write-once movie formats, fellas. I couldn’t give a rats about them and their short lifespans and ultra-shitty inconvenience for MY DATA. :slight_smile: Writing straight to disc natively like a HD on a long-life high-rewrite format like DVD-RAM; you’re all right, it’s a real step backwards! We should be running packet-writing applications or writing in one long session only, for our all-important backups of hollywood drivel. LOL. Apologies to those who made decent posts :slight_smile: Anyhoooo, it seems this new plant comes hot on the heels of Matsushita’s new SW-9583 drives, which come standard accepting bare discs, as well as their standalone home recorders, of course. I still prefer the 9572 and 9573-based models for their catridge support.