Panasonic ends production of DVD-RAM media [1998-2019]

Google Translate:

SOURCE: https://panasonic.jp/media/products/dvd.html

TBH, I don´t will miss it

Used DVD-RAM because my DVD-recorders could use it and the Panasonic only accepts DVD-RAM and DVD-R, no DVD-RW.

But the reliability was not good overall, the speed was also bad, the error-management after some recordings slow also down the writing/reading.

Wanted to use it for backups, but the extreme low speed was also here the point I stopped it

Sad, but inevitable. :frowning:

DVD-RAM has been a great storage medium, possibly the best optical format ever. Unless you got a bad drive, it just worked. You could be confident that your data was safe. I upgraded from CDs to DVDs because of DVD-RAM, not DVD+/-R(W).

So long as your stuck to Panasonic/Matsushita or Maxell-manufactured discs there was never any issues with quality. Never, ever came across (or heard of) a single bad disc. The issues I did have were due to drives which were faulty (a LG GSA-4163A & a NEC ND-4570A) or buggy (Lite-On SHM-165P6S/Sony DW120A). But even with the faulty drives I never lost any data! Writing always failed in such a way that the data already written was preserved. And the disc could always be revived with a full erase in a good drive.

Longevity was never an issue. And being hard-coated as standard, neither was handling damage. (More than once dropped a disc on a stone floor, but even after rolling across the room they remained scratch-free.) I particularly liked being able to write-protect discs.

After moving up to BD-RE I was very disappointed. The early marketing implied that they were a direct successor to DVD-RAM. But they have no write protect option and the conventional single helical track layout seems to adversely affect packet-writing performance. I use them frequently, but I try to avoid packet-writing (as much for the lack of write protection as anything else).

Even in 2019, when I have an incomplete project which requires backing up or clearing out of the way, it gets dumped onto DVD-RAM (or BD-RE) rather than a HDD or flash drive. An optical disc takes up very little space in a drawer and requires no ongoing maintenance. And if I ever get around to finishing it, I can be confident that the data will still be there. My oldest DVD-RAM discs are approaching 15 years old and are still perfectly readable.