Panasonic DVD S52 Player Thread

I bought a DVD S52 mainly to play DVD-RAM on a room other than where my DMR-ES25 is. I needed to replace and older SONY player that was starting to skip and stutter and a Philips player that would no longer play origional discs. The DVD-S52 is great for me; I love the zoom, all the features and it has played anything I tried except DivX. It is now in my livingroom with a Liteon LVW 5005, Philips DVP642; my main player.

I remember hearing somewhere that US versions will not play MPEG4 but in other countries it will.

true the Canada version will play DivX US version will not, and I can find no firmware to make a change.

There is a firmware which just does that, removing the Divx Playback Restriction for US Models plus other nice features :

http://www.xperience.podzone.net/panasonic/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=124&Itemid=26

Unfortunately it’s not publically available :frowning: If you any1 knows where to get it, please send me an PM , thx.

It did not work for me and it will not make Divx Playable:

http://www.xperience.podzone.net/panasonic/forum/index.php

Hi guys :wink:

This is modified firmware for Panasonic DVD players

This firmware can be used on any Panasonic DVD player which
internally uses System Controller Generation 100 Model E

Some examples of such devices include the following players:

DVD-S52

This firmware update includes the following firmware versions:

System Controller 100E -> 410B

To verify if this firmware can be used on your DVD player do this:

First Method:

1. Be sure players drive is empty (nodISC)
  2. Press and hold PAUSE + OSD on the player front panel.
    Then press FUNCTIONS on the remote control.

In the upper right corner of the TV display and on the player display
you will see some numbers:

W XXYZZZ

where W is the current regional code of your player,
XX is the system controller generation,
Y is the system controller model and
ZZZ is the minor version number of your currently installed firmware

If XXY is “100E” you can safely use this firmware for your player :slight_smile:

Second Method:

2. Press and hold PAUSE + OPEN/CLOSE on the player front panel.
    Then press 7 on the remote control.

In the upper right corner of the TV display and on the player display
you will see some numbers:

… XXYZZZ

where XX is the system controller generation,
Y is the system controller model and
ZZZ is the minor version number of your currently installed firmware

If XXY is “100E” you can safely use this firmware for your player :slight_smile:

Changes (compared to original version):

• Player regionalcode changing capability using player remote control (Instructions below)
  • UOP (User Operation Prohibition) disabled
  • “Manual zoom” limits expanded for all playback modes (0.5-4.0) - This allows for overscan removal

Firmware installation instructions

1. Extract the update file (DVDPUPDT.FRM) from the zip archive.
  2. Burn the update file (DVDPUPDT.FRM) to either a CD-R or a CD-RW using ISO 9660 format and finalize the disc.
    (The result should be a disc which only has only one file (DVDPUPDT.FRM) in its root directory)
  3. Insert the disc into your DVD player and wait until the player asks for upgrade confirmation.
  4. Select “YES” and press ENTER on your remote control to start the firmware upgrade process.
  5. Wait until the player restarts itself (This will take some time) and reports completion of the upgrade process.
  6. Eject the update disc and close the tray
  7. Apply any desired regionalcode changes using the remote control key sequences listed below
  8. Re-configure your device settings from the players setup
  9. Enjoy your new firmware :slight_smile:

Note: After applying a firmware update OR a regionalcode change the player will be reset to factory
settings so it has to be re-configured. This is part of the normal operation and nothin you need
to worry about.

Firmware operation notes

Instructions for changing the players regionalcode:

(A) To change the player regional code:

2. Enter following key sequence using remote control:
    “Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 0, Audio, 8, * requested region code here (1-8) *, Subtitle, 1”
  3. Player will reset and requested region code will be set

For example to set region code to 3 press:
“Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 0, Audio, 8, 3, Subtitle, 1”

(B) To set “region-free” and “RCE-free” code:

“Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 0, Audio, 8, 1, Subtitle, 4”
  3. Player will reset and set to “region-free” and “RCE-free” mode

© To restore factory region code

“Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 0, Audio, 8, 9, Subtitle, 1”
  3. Player will reset and set to factory region code

Regional code changing notes:

1 “region-free” means:
The player will no longer check if the disks regional code matches its own regional code.

1. “RCE-free” means:
    The player will be set to regionalcode 1 to work properly with RCE protected discs.

The combination of both settings (Key sequence B) will allow you to play almost
any DVD on this planet.

1. Every keypress (the entries between the commas) in the sequences above is
    ONE button on your remote control.

Examples

1. The “>=10” key is the key used to enter numbers >=10. On older Panasonic
    remote controls this key is sometimes labeled differently (e.g: “+10” or “-/–”)

Don’t “think” about this key sequence. Just look for the right button on your
remote control.

All trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Regards - Tom

This file has been downloaded from http://www.xperience.podzone.net

…But anyone has this legendary firmware revision 411 from Tom’s site?
(http://www.xperience.podzone.net/panasonic/forum/index.php)
It’s not public available, but… howsoever?

Regester and you can download it. I will not piss Tom off by posting it. I just posted the instructions.

Maybe someone has had this problem or can shed some light on it. I have the panasonic dvd s52 hooked up to my Vizio 32" lcd tv. It is connected via component cables to the input called Analog HD2. Recently a friend stopped by and wanted me to watch a dvd he had filmed and then edited on his Mac. When I put the dvd in to play, a large black box filled the lower half of the screen. The dvd continued to play behind it. I was finally able to get rid of the box by using the tv remote and resetting the input to Analog HD2. But as soon as I paused the dvd or tried to fast forward, the black box would reappear.

I spoke to Panasonic tech support. They suggested it was my tv’s closed caption - it wasn’t. They suggested I reset the dvd player - I did but the black box is still there. I’ve tried several different dvd’s - same black box. The tech person asked it there was also a black box on the top of the screen - I explained while I wasn’t a genius I did know the difference between this black box and the bands that appear on a widescreen image. After spending nearly an hour on the phone, they finally suggested I take it to an authorized Panasonic repair facility at which point I suggested I simply throw it in the trash and buy a Sony. The tech person said that of course that was another option I might pursue.

So before I do that, I thought I’d go to where so many people know so very much more than I do…this forum. Any suggestions, advice, condolences are appreciated in advance and if I have failed to give enough information, I apologize.

Thanks!

i was wondering if you or anyone else has found a solution to the “black box” problem on your panasonic dvd player…i have an older player that’s been great for about 5 years now, but i just got the same black box problem…i too was playing a dvd that a friend burned and now whenever something plays, the box appears.

I also have this problem with dmr-es15 panasonic player. It worked finr for first few months now annoying black box comes up on screen.

I have 2 DVD S52s plus an ES-15 and ES-25 and never saw this problem.

I also am hooked up to a vizio, i wonder if this is an issue?

I found answer for black box and my screen is clean. Problem was the vizio closed caption setting. here is directions from vizio web site try it out:

My Vizio TV has a large black square covering most of the screen on certain TV channels. Press the Closed Caption (CC) button on the Vizio remote repeatedly until the word OFF is displayed on the screen. Press the PIP button on the Vizio remote twice or until a full screen is obtained with out any squares displayed.

here is link:
http://www.vizio.com/support/faqs/index.aspx?model=p16

norm crosnick [B]thanks[/B] for posting the solution to many people fail to post the solution so that others can learn. :clap:

[quote=abero;1673225]There is a firmware which just does that, removing the Divx Playback Restriction for US Models plus other nice features :

http://www.xperience.podzone.net/panasonic/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=124&Itemid=26

Unfortunately it’s not publically available :frowning: If you any1 knows where to get it, please send me an PM , thx.[/quote]

Hi - the xperience.podzone.net site seems down (for last few days that I’ve been trying). Any idea where I else can get the firmware to make my US DVD-S52 play xvid? Thanks in advance.

I have a DVD-S54 , in fact I bought 2 players ! (and soon a 3rd)
one for living room and one for den.

the remotes cross talk, in that if I turn on one DVD player.
the other goes with it. same with play , rewind, etc, ( course i knew it would ,as they are identical out of the box)

in the past I had this happen and one could enter setup and set
one player to Remote channel B. feature.

but did Panny forget to provide this.?
does Panny think everyone has only 1 player. gee?

What does the Brady bunch do…? Yah, I know , watch VHS.
or worse, super 8mm.

have full service manual too. no clues.

thanks for any tips…

yahahyahyah, buy diff mfg for each. But I like Panasonic.

FYI:
did you know you can roll chapters negative (eg 1 >>> 20) cool !
or the Dialog enhance , so you can suppress the dang back ground noise over voices .

If i can get it to work , I will buy another for sons room.

cheers

In response to norm crosnick’s answer to the “black box” issue on the Vizio, I too experienced the same “black box” on my DMR-ES15 but I have a Sharp LC15SH7U 15-inch LCD TV. Followed norm’s instructions (turned off the CC) and everything’s fine now. Thanks norm!

I own a S52 and it is probably the best player I have ever owned. It is region free as well as all the other nice features. Never had a problem with it ever. It has one feature that I haven’t seen on other dvd players: the ability to dim subtitles, this is a godsend for those who hate bright subtitles.

Hello,
I was wondering if the tuned S52 Firmware is still available.
I’m interested to skip the partly very lengthy intros…

• UOP (User Operation Prohibition) disabled