Panasonic DVD-recorders?

vbimport

Wow have planning to buy a new DVD-recorder from Panasonic?

I had a DMR-EH10 but I was not glad with the results.
But I ahev this DVD-recorder since 5 years some DVD’s burn very good but I think mine burner is very old. 16 x speed he didn’t burn very good.

I have Panasonic DMR EZ27 and its freezing often. I still have old DMR EH10 which lasted 2 years before power supply broke. Few years before my Panasonic TV 32 " Tau also quit after 18 months. I would stay away from Panasonic .

Not sure about your TV but the EZ-27 or EZ-17 is not a very good product (IMO). I had very bad luck with both.
Panasonic, like most other mfg’s have made some clunkers and as far as new DVDRs I found the EZ-x8 series ('08) to be more reliable than the x7 ('07 series) machines. Not prefect (it had a few quirks) but if I was in the market for a new DVDR I’d probably get one.
In general I think DVDRs can be problematic and I’d think the only people who don’t have occasional problems with theirs probably don’t use them:bigsmile:

Jeff,

My DMR-EZ17 models have not been giving me much trouble lately. Here’s a photo showing them in my home office, along with a DMR-ES35V, Toshiba M745 VCR and a Philips 3575. There’s a bunch of other stuff in here as well, a Zenith DTT900 with a Paper Clip Antenna on top of an HP 3 in 1 printer, two Dell XP MCE 2005 computers, Dynex HD TV and RCA CRT TV, Pelican System Selector PL970, an A/B switch to the left of the ES35, an Aiwa three speed turntable and 10" cooling fan behind the main Dell monitor, a Technics AV Receiver and two ES35 parts machines (not visible) and a smaller cooling fan up front.

My bedroom has the Westinghouse HD “ready” TV, Centronics ZAT501A HD tuner, DMR-ES15, DMR-ES30V models and a Motorola DTC700 converter box. The ES15 RF output feeds the Philips 3575 and one of the EZ17 models in the home office through an A/B switch in the home office. Not pictured is a Zenith DTT901 and another 13" RCA CRT TV in that bedroom.

Not pictured are three DMR-ES35V standby machines (in boxes), three more DMR-ES15 machines that need some attention and the other standby DMR-ES30V (boxed) in a closet with lots of Panasonic boxes, one of which houses the semi-retired Toshiba M781 VCR.

As you may perceive I dug out my old Kodak camera. It works fine but I’ll have to charge the batteries pretty soon.

I’m glad you’ve been having better luck with your EZ-17’s. I just don’t know why I had so much problems with the ones I had. I just kept getting the u99 error and after I got it the machine was dead and no amount of resetting would cure it. Now possibly if I had disassembled the drive and taken out the DVD it would have got out of the u99 loop, I just don’t know. I was less apt to take apart my DVDRs back then and it was partly a point. I just didn’t think it should be necessary to disassemble a machine that was less than 3 months old.
I suppose in my current state I would have tried taking the drive apart to get out my DVDs and then trying again, but I think by the 3rd or 4th time I would have wanted my money back.
As I’ve pointed out before all my EZ-17’s were NIB from a reputable local dealer. The one EZ-27 I tried was NIB from BB. The EZ-27 lasted 35 days but they were nice enough to give me my money back with no hassle even though it was past the 30 days that they normally give money back instead of having it repaired.

On the positive side I’m using the heck out of my new EH-55 and have only 20? hours SP open. I’m up to the first Wednesday morning of the Olympics:o I don’t know what I would have done without the expanded capacity of the HDD. The weekend days were 8 hours straight and I like to use SP or better. Until the Olympics I’d been using XP for everything but soon realized with the Olympics I’d have to step down to at least SP and I’ve been very impressed with the results recording off my CM-7000 CECB tuned to NBC HD. I didn’t shut off my CM for the entire duration of the Olympics:bigsmile:
I sure love my Panny DVDRs, well “my” EZ-x7 series units were the one exception to an otherwise fine experience.
I wish you continued good luck with yours:D

[QUOTE=jjeff;2120119]I sure love my Panny DVDRs, well “my” EZ-x7 series units were the one exception to an otherwise fine experience.
I wish you continued good luck with yours:D[/QUOTE]

Thank you Jeff. We are indeed “Panny Fanatics.”

The first photo shows my Panasonics that are not currently in use. From the top are three DMR-ES15 models that need some attention, one ES15 has recorded well for around 3,000 hours but it will no longer finalize it’s own discs–other Pannys will finalize those discs, one ES15 is “dead” and the other ES gives the U61 and U88 errors; a fully functional DMR-ES30V model; and three fully functional DMR-ES35V models. The last four combo recorders average more than 3,000 recording hours per machine. The stickers at the right indicate the operating/remote code set on that machine.

The second photo shows the DMR-ES40V, a 2005 model with the same bugs and design flaws found on 2007 and newer Pannys. This ES40 sat in a closet for the better part of two years until it was set up as the VHS/DVD player on the family TV.

My daughter, whose photo sits atop the stack in my home office, resides in the basement. She was so impressed with my first DMR-ES30V that she purchased two of that model for her own use. These ES30s are not pictured.

[QUOTE=DigaDo;2120212]Thank you Jeff. We are indeed “Panny Fanatics.”

The first photo shows my Panasonics that are not currently in use. From the top are three DMR-ES15 models that need some attention . . . one ES15 is “dead” and the other ES gives the U61 and U88 errors . . .[/QUOTE]

I gave some attention to two of these three ES15 models. The “error” machine no longer reported error codes but the DVD drive clunked loudly and repeatedly, reporting “no read” with or without an inserted disc. From the “dead” machine a good DVD drive was swapped in to replace the clunking drive. The “dead” machine’s better front panel and top cover were also swapped in. The ES15 that received the functional DVD drive seems to be functioning as normal. This machine happens to have a non-functional tuner, so it is limited to “line in” recording. The RF pass through feature still functions. This machine had its last firmware update in 12/07. From the Panasonic Support website I downloaded the most recent firmware update but I have not run it as it has been my practice not to run firmware updates unless a machine exhibits operational or performance issues. This machine was placed in its original box and set aside for standby service and later rotation into daily use.

The “dead” ES15 has been set aside as a parts machine.

The photo shows an ES15 DVD drive with a ribbon cable that had (earlier) been trimmed back to remove a damaged contact. The “TR” notation on the drive lid was placed there to indicate which ribbon was trimmed.