Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-ES20 displays zeroes, HELLO, fan dead

Greetings … first time post :bigsmile:

This morning when I woke up I found my DVD recorder DMR-ES20 just displaying a bunch of recycling zeroes on the display.

I was eventually able to get it to be in standby mode by pressing the power button for 10 seconds. It displays a flashing 12:00 P sign. When I press power or open/close buttons, the display switches to HELLO.

I do not hear the DVD drive crank up … after opening the chassis, I noticed that the cooling fan on the unit is not running. I read through posts and did notice a 100uF 350V capacitor. It does appear to be fine.

Has anyone else had similar issues? If so, were you able to revive this unit by replacing parts? Capacitors, ICs?

Help gratefully appreciated!!! -TIA

Yes, [B]capacitors[/B]:

More recent information is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111

Digado, you got your ID working??
I was looking for a post with a photo of a bad cap(one split and maybe with white residue coming out) but couldn’t find one for “anonymouse99”. Your thread on AVS shows good caps but not a bad one for identification.

Here is my picture, if you see the largest capacitor (100uF, 350V), it has some kind of hardened resin around it (sort of a cream, light yellow color). I was not sure if that was some kind of a glue to keep the capacitor in place or if it was oozy stuff leaking from the bottom of the capacitor and hardened over time.

My question is also where to buy an identical capacitor, and while I’m replacing these, which other components should I also consider replacing.

Many thanks :smiley:

[QUOTE=jjeff;2590354]Digado, you got your ID working??
I was looking for a post with a photo of a bad cap(one split and maybe with white residue coming out) but couldn’t find one for “anonymouse99”. Your thread on AVS shows good caps but not a bad one for identification.[/QUOTE]

Yes, after more than a year I’m back. In my absence my acquaintance “VoxHumana” has stood in for me at this forum.

In the AVS thread there are a few photos or links to photos describing/depicting visible indicators of failed capacitors.

With a failing or failed capacitor there might not be enough current to “spin-up” hard drives or DVD Drives so operational failures or front panel “Hello” or “Please Wait” are good indicators of failing or failed capacitors.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2590354]I was looking for a post with a photo of a bad cap[/QUOTE]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
http://www.google.com/search?q=leaking+capacitor&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch

at your service,
Michael
:slight_smile:

Nice :cool:
Didn’t think about Wiki.

Hi,

I’m having some trouble with my dvd recorder. The front panel is only showing zeros whenever I plug it in, and I am unable to turn on the unit. I removed the cover to see what the problem is and it appears that the fan is not working. Everything else seems to be in working order though, and so I assume that the fan is preventing the unit from functioning normally. The fan may have stopped functioning due the unit being banged a couple of times on a surface. This occurred due to some frustration that was encountered from having some trouble recording on the unit when error messages began to appear. Anyway, would replacing the fan somehow make the recorder functional again?

Thanks.

Tony

[QUOTE=SrTman;2657418]Hi,

I’m having some trouble with my dvd recorder. The front panel is only showing zeros whenever I plug it in, and I am unable to turn on the unit. I removed the cover to see what the problem is and it appears that the fan is not working. Everything else seems to be in working order though, and so I assume that the fan is preventing the unit from functioning normally. The fan may have stopped functioning due the unit being banged a couple of times on a surface. This occurred due to some frustration that was encountered from having some trouble recording on the unit when error messages began to appear. Anyway, would replacing the fan somehow make the recorder functional again?

Thanks.

Tony[/QUOTE]

The fan is a very simple device. If it will spin freely with your finger or a pencil the fan should be OK. Check to see if the fan’s power connector is correctly attached to the circuit board fitting as seen in the photo.

Since the fan is thermostatically controlled the problem might be with with some other component or connection.

There could be any number of problems.

Have any of the ribbon cables been disturbed? There might be a misaligned or damaged ribbon cable contact strip.

Examine the power supply electrolytic capacitors for leakage or bloating or a split at the top. If one or more capacitors are failing your ES20 might not have enough power to fully “boot up,” a common problem with 2005 models such as your ES20.

Or, the Digital PCB, the “brains” of your ES20, might have become problematic. The Digital PCB is the green circuit board seen at the center. The CPU is fitted under the heat sink. The ES20 has the dreaded LSI CPU instead of the Panasonic CPU found on most other 2005 and 2006 model year Panasonics.

Hi, VoxHumana

Thanks for your reply. I will check to see if the problem may be in any of the areas you mentioned. Like I said, everything appears to be normal inside the unit, except for the fan. The fan is connected to the circuit board, and I even disconnected it and reconnected it to see if that would help but it didn’t. Would I be able to remove the bottom part of the unit and check if the damage could be there?

Tony

[QUOTE=SrTman;2657586]Hi, VoxHumana

Thanks for your reply. I will check to see if the problem may be in any of the areas you mentioned. Like I said, everything appears to be normal inside the unit, except for the fan. The fan is connected to the circuit board, and I even disconnected it and reconnected it to see if that would help but it didn’t. Would I be able to remove the bottom part of the unit and check if the damage could be there?

Tony[/QUOTE]

My disassembly advice is found in this AVS Forum post and photos are found in several of my posts in the same thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055111/whither-the-capacitors-in-panasonic-recorders/0_60#post_14452857

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2657711]My disassembly advice is found in this AVS Forum post and photos are found in several of my posts in the same thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055111/whither-the-capacitors-in-panasonic-recorders/0_60#post_14452857[/QUOTE]

I plugged in the unit (Pana. DMR-ez28) today and per the advice of anonymouse99, I held down the power button until the flashing time came on. Then I pressed the eject button and the unit said Hello, but it just stayed there and wouldn’t display anything else. I took some images of the recorder and have included them to see if the problem can be identified.

Tony

My Panasonic DVR ES20 was displaying 000’s then Hello. Same symptoms associated with power supply issues. I followed the thread for capacitor inspection and replacement. However, by power supply capacitors appeared to look Ok. No bloating or cracks, yes there is the epoxy adhesive around the base, but no apparent damage to the capacitor. Upon flipping the mb over, I noticed a melted or “fried” IC. I cannot read the numbers on the IC, if there were any. The mb indicates this is IC 1401. I do not have a schematic that offers further ID for the IC for replacement purposes. Can someone please provide me with this info?

The unit will not work in its present condition, so before I purchase a new DVD recorder (which are becoming rare), I figured I’d try to replace the IC if the part isn’t too expensive. Thanks in advance for your help.

[QUOTE=smorgan36;2666385]My Panasonic DVR ES20 was displaying 000’s then Hello. Same symptoms associated with power supply issues. I followed the thread for capacitor inspection and replacement. However, by power supply capacitors appeared to look Ok. No bloating or cracks, yes there is the epoxy adhesive around the base, but no apparent damage to the capacitor. Upon flipping the mb over, I noticed a melted or “fried” IC. I cannot read the numbers on the IC, if there were any. The mb indicates this is IC 1401. I do not have a schematic that offers further ID for the IC for replacement purposes. Can someone please provide me with this info?

The unit will not work in its present condition, so before I purchase a new DVD recorder (which are becoming rare), I figured I’d try to replace the IC if the part isn’t too expensive. Thanks in advance for your help.[/QUOTE]

Inquire with the Panasonic National Parts Center in Kent Washington concerning your DMR-ES20 model’s IC1401. With that information they should be able to identify the part number and quote a price.

http://shop.panasonic.com/panasonic/support/contact-us

Here are the DMR-ES20 IC part numbers and prices (not including s&h):

C0EBE0000504 IC 2.81
C1AB00001920 IC 14.06
AN41211A-VF IC 30.87
MN103S88GRA3 IC 69.07
AN5832SA-E1V IC 15.79
C1AB00002309 IC 112.61
C0CBCDC00027 IC 3.72
C0FBBK000049 IC 5.91
C0ABBA000146 IC 2.19
MN101C87ABC2 IC 18.66
C0JBAZ001713 IC 2.72
AN22114A-VT IC 29.88
C0CBCBD00048 IC 4.84
C0CBCDC00054 IC 2.95
C0DACZH00022 IC 17.95
C0FBAK000019 IC 10.38
C1AB00002310 IC 20.77
C0DBEKG00004 IC 2.33
C0JBAR000454 IC 3.72
C0BBBA000085 IC 3.79
C0CBCAC00245 IC 3.63
C0DAEMB00003 IC 1.51
C0DBEFH00001 IC 10.50
C1DB00000526 IC 32.36
C3FBND000260 IC 63.19
C0CBCDG00006 IC 6.30
C0EBJ0000110 IC 1.51
C0JBAH000095 IC 5.23
C1AB00001979 IC 19.46
RFKFES20P IC 67.65
C3ABMG000207 IC 17.88
MN101C87ABC3 IC 17.46
C0CBCDC00052 IC 1.08
C0CBCAG00016 IC 6.83
C0DBAHD00013 IC 4.55
C0DBEZG00023 IC 4.61
C3ABRG000060 IC 49.30
RFKFES10DR IC 50.60

Thanks for your reply. I’ve sent an email requesting info on the part.

I fixed my DMR-ES20 by replacing capacitors C1280 (680 uf), C1400 (470 uf) and C1143 (100 uf). All were available from Radio Shack (online). C1280 and C1400 showed signs of bloating and possible leaking electrolyte, while I replace C1143 just as a precaution because it’s the largest capacitor. Disassembly took about 20 min, soldering PC boards skill necessary. It solved all the erratic problems with my unit.

Hi
I have the same problem with my DMR-ES20. Like mentionned, i replace the c1280, c1400 and c1143. But the problem still the same. Showing bunch of 0 and several combination of “pressing button” don’t resolve the problem. So i don’t know what to do next. The capacitors don’t leak but i changing for precaution. No result…:frowning: