Panasonic DRM ES20 problems

vbimport

I updated my ES20 to the latest firmware from the Panasonic site. When I started it up the display said ‘RC2’ and I could not enter setup. Now the display just says ‘Hello’ and will not do anything. Is there a reset option to set the unit to factory defaults?:frowning:

Was the firmware update successful for this 2005 DMR-ES20?

What circumstances prompted you to update the firmware?

A Panasonic hanging at “hello,” and a front panel display showing “RC2” demonstrates two unrelated issues.

When you press any button on the remote does the “hello” disappear and the “RC2” appear? After the “RC2” disappears does the display go back to “hello?”

If a Panasonic does not power-up beyond “hello” there may be any number of problems, most often due to failing or failed capacitors in the power supply. In that instance the DVD Drive may not even “spin up.” Does the DVD Drive make the normal “spin up” sounds or have there been different sounds, and if so, what sounds are there?

The “RC2” message indicates that the recorder itself is set to “remote code 2” but the remote itself is set to a different code. To change the remote control to code 2 hold down the ENTER button and the number 2 button at the same time for five seconds.

The update was successful. I could not enter setup mode. Now when the recorder is plugged in it goes on and on with the 00000 and when finally finished, it just says hello. Tray will not open, nothing. It’s probably a doorstop now. Prior to the update, it was working fine.

Come on people, doesn’t anybody have a solution? Maybe CCRomeo can weigh in on my dilemma.

In my earlier response I provided a suggestion as to one possible problem area.

I also asked some questions, the answers to which might point toward appropriate remedial measures.

Without providing answers the best you should expect is guesswork.

What circumstances, if any, prompted you to update the firmware?

With a Panasonic that does not power-up beyond “hello” there may be any number of problems, most often due to failing or failed capacitors in the power supply.

Have you examined the power supply capacitors for bloating, leakage or a split or other opening at the top?

Listen to the DVD Drive. It may be trying to tell you what’s wrong.

If the power supply capacitor(s) have failed the DVD Drive may not “spin up.”

Does the DVD Drive make the normal “spin up” sounds or have there been different sounds, and if so, what sounds are there?

I just took a look inside and there are no bulging or leaking capacitors anywhere on the board. The drive makes no noise at all when powered on, the display just reads HELLO.

[QUOTE=Redking1;2519717]I just took a look inside and there are no bulging or leaking capacitors anywhere on the board. The drive makes no noise at all when powered on, the display just reads HELLO.[/QUOTE]

With a DVD Drive that makes no noise at all when the recorder is powered on the most likely problem is with the power supply or the power supply capacitor(s). It is also possible that the DVD Drive’s wired power connector is not firmly seated, there is a problematic DVD Drive on-board controller or a problematic Digital PCB as seen in this photo of a 2005 DMR-ES30V:

[QUOTE=Redking1;2519717]I just took a look inside and there are no bulging or leaking capacitors anywhere on the board.[/QUOTE]

Attached is a reference photo showing the power supply in a 2005 DMR-ES40V combo recorder. The largest electrolytic capacitor is the one most prone to failure. As the DMR-ES40V model is full of bugs and design flaws this example has been used very little, a total of around five months use with just 355 recording hours since I purchased it new in December 2005. The rest of the time this ES40 has been back in it’s box stored in a closet. While this dreadful DMR-ES40 is very nearly “new” I regard it as a parts machine since it uses DVD Drive VXY1867 that’s common to Panasonic’s standard 2005 model year DVD recorders and combo recorders.

I also purchased two 2005 DMR-ES30V combo recorders, one new and one refurbished. Both are outstanding workhorses, one now has more than 3,000 recording hours and the other now has around 4,500 recording hours. The DMR-ES30V uses two large, matched electrolytic capacitors in its power supply.

First of all, my particular unit has[I] never[/I] seen heavy use. I once worked for a company repairing circuit boards and I had to have a keen eye to spot component failure. The capacitor mentioned is not defective, bulging or leaking as I stated in my last post. All the ribbon connectors are firmly seated. My unit was functioning [I]perfectly[/I] prior to the firmware upgrade. If Panasonic had so many issues with this model as well as others, they should have been recalled or exchanged for a different less buggy model. Clearly this was not done. It is most likely a failed firmware issue rather than anything else. I had stated that after the upgrade I could not enter the setup mode which the instructions from Panasonic stated that I would be able to do. Despite my efforts, it didn’t work. Along with the firmware upgrade, I also downloaded the instructions to perform the update. After all this happened, I searched the web looking for solutions. All that I have tried have failed including the factory reset. So if it is not component failure, it’s something else: bad flashing. It’s my own fault, I should have left it like it was.

[QUOTE=Redking1;2519747]First of all, my particular unit has[I] never[/I] seen heavy use. I once worked for a company repairing circuit boards and I had to have a keen eye to spot component failure. The capacitor mentioned is not defective, bulging or leaking as I stated in my last post. All the ribbon connectors are firmly seated. My unit was functioning [I]perfectly[/I] prior to the firmware upgrade. If Panasonic had so many issues with this model as well as others, they should have been recalled or exchanged for a different less buggy model. Clearly this was not done. It is most likely a failed firmware issue rather than anything else. I had stated that after the upgrade I could not enter the setup mode which the instructions from Panasonic stated that I would be able to do. Despite my efforts, it didn’t work. Along with the firmware upgrade, I also downloaded the instructions to perform the update. After all this happened, I searched the web looking for solutions. All that I have tried have failed including the factory reset. So if it is not component failure, it’s something else: bad flashing. It’s my own fault, I should have left it like it was.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Have you gotten your issues resolved? I have the same problem with my unit (ES20). I found C1400 with a bulged top so replaced that and the unit has the same symptom (display zeroes and no noise on dvd drive)

I would reflash the unit. And if it is possible to find, with an older firmware.

I just want to identify the capacitor on my DMR ES40V. but I cant see the images until I register. Fine, I still cant see them until I post something twice?!?!?!?!? Why are you making me jump through hoops? I didnt know my boss was the site administrator.

And dont tell me the rules were posted when I signed up…No one reads those things… I could have agreed to give up a kidney in one of those agreements and never known it.

Now I can see the pictures.
Why make things difficult? my dead DVD player is bad enough?

[QUOTE=hbutko;2668945]I just want to identify the capacitor on my DMR ES40V… [/QUOTE]

This is the usual suspect: