Panasonic DMR-ES40V

vbimport

I have Panasonic DMR-ES40v for a while now. At first it worked great. After awhile, the started making noises, the programmable recording started being unreliable.

Anyway, a few months ago, after turning it on, the little “waiting” signal wouldnt turn off. I unplugged it and forgot about for weeks.

Now what it does is, when I try to play a DVD or VHS, the screen just goes BLUE.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

[QUOTE=buytheredcar;2474432]I have Panasonic DMR-ES40v for a while now. At first it worked great. After awhile, the started making noises, the programmable recording started being unreliable.

Anyway, a few months ago, after turning it on, the little “waiting” signal wouldnt turn off. I unplugged it and forgot about for weeks.

Now what it does is, when I try to play a DVD or VHS, the screen just goes BLUE.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I’ve also been through the DMR-ES40V experience with this bug-laden model with serious design flaws. Mine has spent about three of its four years back in it’s box stashed in a closet.

The “noises” usually indicate the type of problem. “Clunking” “chugging” or “errrp” noises usually indicates a dirty lens or a failed laser assembly in the DVD Drive. “Grinding” or “scrubbing” noises indicates a dirty rubber hub/spindle in the DVD Drive. These conditions usually cause read, write and finalizing failures and sometimes show the U61, U88 or U99 error codes on the machine’s front panel display. The first remedial measure is to gently clean the lens and give a thorough cleaning to the rubber hub/spindle area. Those procedures are addressed in this thread:

Before securing the DVD Drive lid take care to postion the disc tray roller/slider to the far left corner. There are helpful photos in that thread.

See my recent AVS post that has remedial suggestions for another problematic DMR-ES40V:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17633353#post17633353

Other posts in that short thread may also be of some interest to you.

If you’re able to restore functionality remember that the DMR-ES40V has only an analog tuner so it may need an external signal source such as a CECB or other ATSC tuner for antenna reception, or a cable company STB, DTA or a satellite receiver.

If you have failing or failed power supply capacitor(s) there are other threads at the MyCe Forum and AVS Forums that address that situation. Here is one such thread concerning the DMR-E85H:

Since the above post is now beyond the 30 minute editing/revising window, I’m including here a link to a thread with step-by-step instructions and photos of power supply capacitor replacement:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111