Panasonic DMR-ES40V DVD question

vbimport

Have a Panasonic DMR-ES40V DVD recorder that plays DVDs perfect. With no other changes, I switch to VHS and have great picture but no sound. Any ideas as to where to start looking? Thanks!

You have Right and Left RC Analog connections that need to be connected to your Sound Output. It’s the DVD/VHS Common Output, goes to your TV Sound Input or your AV. :cool:

Thanks for your reply alchav21. I probably wasn’t clear in my initial post, I have great video AND audio playing DVDs. Keeping everything exactly the same, when I switch to VHS, I still have great video, but absolutely no audio. Is there something that should change in the wiring when switching from DVD mode to VHS? Have checked and rechecked, thinking I’m missing something but always is the same. Beginning to think there is something amiss with the panny DVD player. Have read how you can update/reprogram the unit. Could that possibly fix something like this? It’s just like it doesn’t put out any audio when in VHS mode. Even connected it direct to my Bose and get nothing when on VHS. Thanks in advance for any help.

[QUOTE=johndeereman;2602971]Thanks for your reply alchav21. I probably wasn’t clear in my initial post, I have great video AND audio playing DVDs. Keeping everything exactly the same, when I switch to VHS, I still have great video, but absolutely no audio. Is there something that should change in the wiring when switching from DVD mode to VHS? Have checked and rechecked, thinking I’m missing something but always is the same. Beginning to think there is something amiss with the panny DVD player. Have read how you can update/reprogram the unit. Could that possibly fix something like this? It’s just like it doesn’t put out any audio when in VHS mode. Even connected it direct to my Bose and get nothing when on VHS. Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at your Owner’s Manual, and there are various ways to connect your Player. To get VHS Sound playback you need the Analog RC connections Out connected to your Sound Source. Tell me how you are connected, because if you have Video and Sound for DVD but only Video for VHS don’t you think there are some RC Analog connections missing? On the back of your Player you have DVD Priority Out and DVD/VHS Common Out. Are these connected? :cool:

Right now I have a three gang RC connector connected to the Component Video Out. If I move it to any other out set (like the DVD Priority Out or the DVD/VHS Common Out) I get a noticeable degrade in picture quality on both DVD and VHS. My 2 gang RC cord can be connected to either the audio signals from the DVD Priority Out or the DVD/VHS Common Out. In both those positions I get the same thing, great video and sound when playing DVDs, and great video but no sound when playing VHS. Have tried moving them around to every possible combination I can think of and end up with the above connections giving the best results, but still having the problem of no audio on VHS. Haven’t watched VHS in a long time so can’t remember when it last worked, whether it was with the old TV or the new HD, but do remember that it worked at one time.

Gang or no Gang, I think the Priority or DVD/VHS Out are the connections. All you can do is test the RC connections, either directly to your HDTV or some kind of Sound Speakers. If those Outputs are putting out sound, then something is not set in your Amplifier. :cool: