Panasonic DMR-ES30VS Won't play finalized DVD

Just started using my new Panasonic DMR-ES30VS VCR/DVD Recorder/Player Combo. Dubbed a DVD from the VCR with no problem. Then finalized it. But I can’t get it to PLAY. It ‘should’ play just by inserting it and hitting PLAY but when I hit PLAY, it brings up the Direct Navigator. When I hit PLAY from the DN, it STOPS and shows the SCREENSAVER. What up with that? No matter what I do, I can’t get it to just PLAY. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Well, I don’t know what happened but after walking away from the DVD player just to get away from the frustration, I came back to it several hours later to show my sister that it doesn’t play and guess what? IT PLAYED! I was astonished, astounded and VERY pleased. I am also still curious as to what transpired in my absence. Did I have to turn the DVD player off before trying to play the movie? If you have any ideas, I would sure appreciate hearing from you. And, thanks!

User error of some sort is most often the cause of such things. Finalizing discs requires several steps where you have to answer “yes” and a long wait for it to finish finalizing.

A bad quality burns can cause reading problems, be sure you use only good quality media like Verbatim or Maxell.