Panasonic DMR-ES30VEB - Record VHS & DVD at same time

vbimport

Not certain if this is the right place apologizes if it is not.
Panasonic DMR-ES 30VEB
Is it possible to time a recording on both DVR and VHS to record at the same time the same programme or two different programmes?
Would appreciate any help.
Ron

Since the ES-30v only has one tuner the only way to record two different events would be to use a line input for the second event. AFA two different timer events I guess I haven’t tried it. I know you can record 2 separate things live(again if using line input for one) and if any DVDR could do it, it would be the ES-30v, it’s an incredibly versatile recorder which Panasonic hasn’t come close to since(at least for the N. American market).
Since the timer screens are different for VHS and DVD it just may be possible, you’d have to try, I never have.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2492756]Since the ES-30v only has one tuner the only way to record two different events would be to use a line input for the second event. AFA two different timer events I guess I haven’t tried it. I know you can record 2 separate things live(again if using line input for one) and if any DVDR could do it, it would be the ES-30v, it’s an incredibly versatile recorder which Panasonic hasn’t come close to since(at least for the N. American market).
Since the timer screens are different for VHS and DVD it just may be possible, you’d have to try, I never have.[/QUOTE]
Hi Jeff
I use AV2 to record digital TV via a scart, no problem, the trouble is if it’s recording on a timer the DVD always takes priority, one thing I haven’t tried is to record via AV2 during a recording on DVD, it may not be possible to switch to VHS while the DVD is in record mode, but I will try when I get an opportunity. but there is no way to use the VHS timer to record when the DVD is timed.
Ron.

My US ES-30v doesn’t have a SCART connector but for me to record to both VHS and DVD I first start the DVD side recording. Then I push the VHS button, select the input I want to record from and push REC. You toggle back and forth between the two events by pushing VHS or DVD button. If you pause or push STOP just be sure you’re on the correct side or else you’ll stop or pause the wrong event.
What makes the ES-30v so nice is it has 2 separate displays, one for VHS one for DVD. No other recorder I’m aware of had this feature which makes it much harder to record 2 different events at the same time.

edit: I forgot about the '04 Panasonic E74/75v combo which also had the dual displays but not the 500 line LP resolution like the '05 ES-30v. The ES-30v also writes to more media types than the E74/75.

I haven’t tried your suggestion but cannot see any reason why I cannot do as you say, but of course my problem was recording with scheduled timers, but I see no reason why I cannot take advantage of your suggestion should I be home during both events. When I get an opportunity I will do a test run, thanks for the tip.
Scarts are useful, but they do have a tendency to slightly move out the socket producing either no sound or no picture, this is caused by the heavy cable, I have tried the ribbon cable but even that does sometimes cause the same problem, you be happy with the phono plugs and sockets.:slight_smile:
You are right, the two displays are unique and very useful to make sure either tape or disc is running by looking at the digits moving.

Ron.

Hi jjeff
A couple of things, first last night while a DVD was playing, I switched to VHS and played a tape and switched back to DVD which was playing happily without problems, so thank you for mentioning that.
Secondly, I record a soap on DVD Mon to Friday and when I get to the weekend I either delete all titles or format.
I have been using a RAM disc up to last week but this week I am using a RW which seems to be doing the job fine.
What is best for the disk to format or to delete all titles? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Ron.

I’ve read people say deleting is better than reformatting a disc but I don’t really by if. I used to use -RW discs for all my timeshifting and I’d reformat after each use and I never had a disc failure except for one badly scratched disc.
I guess if you had more than a couple titles on the disc, reformatting would be quicker than deleting each title. If you only had one title then it might be quicker to delete. Personally I don’t think it makes much difference.
RAM discs are handy because you can delete any title and gain back time where as -RW discs you only gain all your time back by deleting the last title. RAM discs are supposed to be good for more rewrite cycles but again I never had a problem with -RW discs and I used several for several years and am still using them.

Thanks jjeff for your comments. I have always used RAM disks but I find they tend to get, I can only use the word ‘corrupted’ and unusable after a few months and as they are more expensive than -RWs I thought I would try them in place of the RAM, I always use -RWs for my my every day recording or DVD-Rs if they are to be kept. So far all seems well the offer of erasing single titles or all titles is there the same as the RAM, so when I’ve finished my weekly programs I will format the disk as you seem to be happy with that.

Completely off the topic, do you or anyone reading this thread know how you can add a product you use in your profile? I enter my DMR-ES 30 VEB into the search as instructed it comes up with several models but not mine and there doesn’t seem to be any way to add yours to the list, very frustrating.
Thanks for giving me your comments and your help.
Ron.