Panasonic DMR-EH55 PAL Playback (or lack thereof)

Hey all,

Just got a Panny DMR-EH55 recorder and to my dismay, I learned that it cannot play back PAL DVDs. From what I’ve read online, some Panasonic players can play back PAL, but the ability is disabled in the firmware. Don’t know if that is the case here or not, but when I tried to play a PAL region 0 disc it says “cannot play”. My previous recorder, the Philips DVDR75 played back PAL without a hitch, so I’m a bit peeved that this Panasonic doesn’t. Does anyone know of any way to get this thing to output PAL signals? Maybe a firmware that enables the function?

If not, can anyone recommend a fairly good DVD player that is not too expensive (say $30 - 60) that will output PAL signals (or do PAL to NTSC conversion)?

Thanks,
Dmwc

Hi, I too have found this problem. Not only does it have problems with pal/ntsc, but also the region. It is rather annoying. I don’t know where you are living, but in New Zealand, all dvd players are multi-regioned and pal/ntsc enabled before they are allowed to be sold at any retailer. However, you probably aren’t there. I now live in Canada, and I have discovered that Cyberhome dvd players and DVR from Walmart play all regions and pal and ntsc - and will even convert a pal dvd to an ntsc signal to play on an ntsc tv. They don’t advertise that they play all regions etc, but they do. They even play divX (.avi files) from both cd’s and dvd’s - a great little feature to unexpectedly get. And even better, is their $30 price. I would recommend getting their DVR without the HDD. It’s easy to record pal VHS to a dvd. My panny does not do that.
For a better quality player, I have heard that there is a Phillips dvd player that will do pal and ntsc and region free. I have yet to confirm that, but the shop that told me that is a specialty shop that knows what they are talking about. It costs about $89.95 Canadian.

Happy hunting

International KDV-6000 PAL NTSC Video Converter 8 Megabytes V-RamComposite and S-Video ConnectionsNTSC/SECAM/PAL/PAL-N/PAL-M ConversionFull Details $169.99 International KDV-6000 Analog PAL NTSC Video Converter KDV-5000 Front Panel enlarge KDV-5000 Rear Panel enlarge $169.99 Feature Comparison of competing models 8 Megabytes V-Ram
Camcorders: Use your PAL camcorder in the USA or your NTSC camcorder overseas on a PAL TV. You can also convert movies from your camcorder. For example: Make a NTSC tape from a PAL camcorder using the CMD-850 to convert the signal. Tape conversion: You can exchange tapes with friends or relatives living abroad, or for business and education. PAL VCR is required to do this. Excellent features list: Uses Video or S-Video connection Manual switch to select between S-Video and Composite inputs LED Lamp shows current input and output video signal ON / Off Switch Detects input manually between: All Pal, All NTSC systems - Will not work with Secam Convert signals from: PAL to NTSC NTSC to PAL This unit will not convert Secam Output or Input is selectable between: NTSC 3.58 or 4.43 (USA, Canada, Mexico and Japan)
PAL (For PAL B/G, D/K, I - Secam D/K, B/G, K1 Countries) 8 Megabytes video field memory Memory speed 50 Mhz Static resolution: up to 500 lines Dynamic resolution: up to 500 Lines 4 Field conversion of NTSC signals 8 Field conversion of PAL signals Line (525 <-> 625 Lines) and 50<->60 field conversions
Set-up instructions, 1 video cable Limitations: This is only a video converter. It cannot play tapes. For example, to play Pal tapes on an American TV you need a Pal VCR and this video converter. Read more about video or DVD conversion here… or call us toll free at 877-220-8658. Unit Specifications: Dimensions: (9.21" in.) W x (1.65" in.) H x (5" in.) D Shipping Weight: 3 Lbs World Wide Power supply. UL approved 100-240 50/60 Hz auto switching power supply for use anywhere in the world.