Panasonic DMR-E80H

:bow: Help! Please. My HDD/DVD recorder-player won’t boot properly. I worked with tech support at length but could not resolve the problem. They told me to down load new firmware and try to boot from a cd with the new firmware on it. That didn’t work either. This is a great machine and I would truely like to get it back in shape. I can take the hard drive out (80 gig) and connect it to my computer if anyone knows what to do next, or if there is another way to fix this I would sure appreciate the help. This is a Panasonic DMR-E80H HDD & DVD machine. Thanks again, I am looking to participating in this community.

Hi mbwillem and welcome to CDFreaks. Moved this thread to the Panasonic DVD Recorder forum. Hopefully someone can help you out.:slight_smile:

What exactly does it do or not do correctly? Is the disc stuck in the machine? Is it stuck in the Self Check Mode?

I have a Panasonic DMR-E85h,and I updated the firmware with a CD,and it worked great. However I had [B]them[/B] send me the disc,I did not make my own off of the Website.

Try unplugging the power for an hour, then plug it back in and power up.It should go through a Self Check Cycle and be OK.

If not, I still have my CD and Instructions,maybe I can send you mine to try if it is the same update version.

The burner in mine finally fried after about 600 Backups,and it is a 400 Dollar part to replace…so needless to say I only use the HDD part of it now. :sad:

Thank you. Being an odvious newby I did’nt know where to post this, Thanks again for your help

Thanks for your reply. I have unplugged the machine for short (5 miutes) periods, long periods (weeks) and overnight. all of these failed to return it to operational. When I push the power off button, it says “bye”, I hear the head searching, and it automaticaly returns to “ch L1”. If I unplug, it replug it and hold down the rec mode button it will give the time and current date, don’t know how it knows what time and date it is since it was disconnected from every thing including power for 4 weeks. Holding the “open close button” willeventualy open the bay, the reading symbol comes on and back to “ch L1”. I will recheck my cd and make sure the firmware is burned properly. Thank you again.

It remembers the time and date, because it has a battery backup like a computer.

Maybe by holding down the rec button, you have somehow put it into a maintenance mode. I will look at my instruction manual when I get home tonight, and see if there is a way to reset the system somehow.

You did not interrupt the download process when updating the firmware did you? I remember the instructions for the update being very adament about not pushing any buttons etc until it was done.

Thanks, No I did’nt interrupt, I saw the warning too! I also downloaded the firmware again, and retraced the steps with their instruction sheet in hand, no luck. I may end up looking at the drive on my computer (surgery) to try to force the drv file onto the panny drive. Thanks again.

Hi, I have the DMR E85H just like rbraughn. My machine is stuck in the self check mode. I get an error message on the TV and it says to press enter. Then it goes into the “self check” cycle. I did download the latest (latest? 2004) firmware from Panasonic the tray opened on command and I was able to uploade the firmware, but it did no good. The machine went right back to the “self check” cycle. Now I cannot get the DVD tray to open and occasionally I get a new message on the TV telling me to replace the disk in the tray?? But there is no disk in the tray. When I hit the return button on the remote - as this message appears - the tray opens. It is closed now and I have no idea if the tray will ever open again. This unit was working beautifully one minute then, without warning, self check, self check -------- return to channel screen — then error message and back to self check etc, etc, etc. I sure hope someone comes up with the solution. From what I have read Panasonic is not much help. Peace to you all, Dan

:slight_smile: The Panasonic people told me to try holding down different combinations of keys to force various operations. Also they told me to unplug the unit for more than 24 hours and then try reset after repowering the unit.

The Panasonic people told me to try holding down different combinations of keys to force various operations. Also they told me to unplug the unit for more than 24 hours and then try reset after repowering the unit.