Panasonic DMR-E55 or Philips DVDR 75 - DVD-RAM vs DVD+RW ? Has Anyone tried Both?

vbimport

I am tossing up between getting a Panasonic DMR-E55(that records on DVD-RAM) OR a Philips DVDR 75(that records on DVD+RW)

Has anyone tried Both ?

What is the main advantage of DVD+RW over DVD-RAM besides the cheaper price ?

Any thoughts on which is the better unit - first hand experience ?

Any help is much appreciated :slight_smile:

i had a philips dvdr75 and had nothing but problems with it. kept crashing and not recording. but my brother has the 55 and it has been spot on. no bother what so ever and picture quality is far better on the 55. and recordings have never failed for him. go for the 55 if i was you. :slight_smile:

I have had the DMR-E50 for about a year and I have had no problem yet !

No knowledge about both devices, but as you also ask about the media:

DVD-RAM can be written 100 times the limit number allowed by DVD+RW, as said in the specifications.
DVD-RAM can be more stable and (in theory, at least) last longer than DVD+RW (time span).

I don’t know if the 2 recorder allow the VR recording format (or only the VIDEO format for DVD), but it is more likely that you get it with RAM. This can be of interest if you want to edit the video files in a computer. If the editing software allows it, VR will make you life easier and maybe produce better results.
I have got a Sony that can use both +/-RW (not RAM) and only -RW allows the VR recording format.

Phillips machines have a habit of breaking and generaly being unreliable.

Though dvd+rw is alot more compatable, most players and pc’s will read em. DVD-RAM is by far the best format especaly if you don’t have a pc to do editing on, but don’t expect to find to much other hardware that will read em.

From personal experience I can only agree. Very, very true!

askabar, have you chosen yet? Have you seen Panasonic’s DMR-E65 model?