Panasonic first announced this model in their press release in January 2008 and demoed in CES. Until now we have yet to see its Release Date and List price. Guestimates say around May/June/July 2008 with MSRP $599.
However just this month the spec is released in their global website (click the Specification/Features link on the left bar): http://panasonic.net/pavc/blu-ray/dmp-bd50/features/index.html
So for people coming into blu-ray, this is one of the most anticipated blu-ray player. Some neat main features are:
- Supports BD-Live (Blu-ray Profile 2.0) internet connection to download additional contents, and BonusView/PiP (Profile 1.1)
- HDMI v1.3 with Deep Colour compatibility for 12-bit, 4,096-step image processing (TV must be Deep Colour compatible, otherwise it will display 8-bit, 256-step gradation)
- 1080p/24p playback via HDMI where it reproduces movie images from Blu-ray disc in their original 24p form as in movie theaters and no need for conversion.
- Decodes and bitstream all High Definition sound including DTS-HD Master Audio
- 5.1 Multichannel analog for your older receiver without HDMI support
- SD Memory Card, it’s equipped with an SD slot to view HD photos and video from your camera and camcorder.
The MSRP $599 would be pretty high for some people but the quality should be comparable to other high-end players out there such as Denon DVD-3800BD ($2,000) or the Marantz BD8002 ($2,100).
Btw, VisualApex accepts pre-order at $599.
~<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->