Panasonic BD-R media price fluctuations

vbimport

After examining eBay/Amazon and contacting some of the sellers, it appears that Panasonic BD-R 25GB spindles have significantly jumped in price. This change is attributed to supplier shortages and I hope that it does not indicate production changes from Panasonic’s (manufacturer’s) side.

Given that many of the big players in optical media market have either consolidated or downsized in recent times, it doesn’t make me feel cosy.

Does anyone else know what could be going on with regard to the Panasonic BD-R 25GB media?

Example: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160684957862

Panasonic has completed production of BD-R 25GB \ BD-RE 25GB, and probably ended or drastically reduced BD-R DL 50GB and BD-RE DL 50GB …
Therefore, especially in the media BD-R 25GB price completely crazy…
It is possible that sold technology \ MID codes \ presses for Digistore …

Price jumps are normally always a sign of shortage, regarding Panasonic BD-R 25GB Made in Japan it happened simultaneously all over the world, not only at ebay.
Panasonic once had a batch of BD-R 25 made by Ritek :eek: with mediacode RITEK BR2, they were not bad, but…:confused:

It wouldn´t surprise me, if they are some day made in Taiwan or made in India.:sad:

[QUOTE=czary2mary1;2776967]Panasonic has completed production of BD-R 25GB \ BD-RE 25GB, and probably ended or drastically reduced BD-R DL 50GB and BD-RE DL 50GB …
Therefore, especially in the media BD-R 25GB price completely crazy…
It is possible that sold technology \ MID codes \ presses for Digistore …[/QUOTE]

Damn, I missed this. Panasonic stopped BD-R production as well? What to buy now, after Sony switched to RiCrap? :frowning:

[QUOTE=Oinker;2776980]Damn, I missed this. Panasonic stopped BD-R production as well? What to buy now, after Sony switched to RiCrap? :([/QUOTE]
That’s what I’m trying to determine. Verbatim seems to be a sensible choice although MIDs may be hit and miss… In either case I’m going to ration my Panasonic blanks.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Interestinly this correlates with Panasonic releasing a new cakebox for BD-R(E) DL
http://ec-club.panasonic.jp/product/blu-ray_50pack/

If indeed these disks have Panasonic MID, they may only have stopped/outsourced the BD-R SL production.

[B]@sengork

[/B]Vendors from Japan that I know and have these packages on offer have confirmed to me that our original 100% MID Panasonic in new packaging BD-R \ RE -50 pieces …

Panasonic BD-R DL 50GB 50 pieces -MID : MEIT02
Panasonic BD-RE DL 50GB 50 pieces - MID : MEIT01

Can anyone recommend a new go-to single layer BD-R media? From what I understand Japanese sold Verbatim disks (spindles) are actually manufactured in Taiwan and carry te CMC MID codes.

I tend to use SL for cases where DL may deteriorate more significantly over time.

From what I can tell, researching on eBay myself, it appears they are bringing out their Premium single layer discs more and getting rid of the blue container ones. The old blue ones are, most of the time, more expensive then the new Premium ones. Right now, everything appears to be a good price.

Problem solved?

[QUOTE=Canon_Heritage;2778306]…it appears they are bringing out their Premium single layer discs more…[/QUOTE]

Out of interest can you show me some of the listings or the product codes you have seen?

Sure, I mean these kind: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-MID-Code-5-Panasonic-Bluray-Disc-BD-R-25GB-4X-Inkjet-Printable-Blu-Ray-/310293693854
These are the ones with Panasonic’s Professional hard coat. [B]Almost[/B] identical to the archival quality ones, which have also come down in price.

This is compared to the original blue ones that just have Panasonic’s original Tough-coat: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PANASONIC-Blu-ray-BD-R-Recordable-Disk-25GB-4x-Speed-5-Pack-Ink-jet-Printab-/301938548137

I’ve noticed that most (if not all) of the listings for the blue ones are now listing the professional hard coat features as applying to those discs. Originally, all the blue labelled ones didn’t have that and only the Premium labelled ones did.

[QUOTE=sengork;2776982]Interestinly this correlates with Panasonic releasing a new cakebox for BD-R(E) DL
http://ec-club.panasonic.jp/product/blu-ray_50pack/

If indeed these disks have Panasonic MID, they may only have stopped/outsourced the BD-R SL production.[/QUOTE]

Officially, this limited edition is only available through the official store Panasonic in Japan … but a few sellers on ebay sells them …

Panasonic BD-RE 50GB - packed 50 pieces personal confirmed MID and press.

Has anyone noticed that prices have skyrocketed for Panasonic BD-R DL media on eBay in the last few days/weeks? Does anyone know what is going on? Has Panasonic quit making Blu-ray media?

This is not a good sign.

This is how i understand the situation:

They’re still producing BD-R media. When they discontinued BD-R 4x series there was a big gap and shortage of supply, this caused prices to go up. Many months afterwards Panasonic introduced BD-R 6x series and at the high prices remained. I’d consider this a long term naturalisation of the price relative to the decrease in market demand.

I noticed I don’t get email reminders when someone responds anymore. Probably because of the revamp. I will check preference settings.

Now I understand why there is only expensive 4x or more affordable 2x Panasonic BD-R DL media. No 6x in sight yet, on eBay or amazon.ca at least. Verbatim still has that 50-stack Panasonic made BD-R DL which is super affordable compared to everything else now. That will have to be the ticket for now.

Thanks sengork.

@Canon_Heritage
You can click on your icon on the top right, and select the preference icon,

and after that you can change one setting, and show in the pictures below and you should be getting all the notification when you reply to a topic.

OK, I just changed that setting from Tracking to Watching. Fortunately I saw and enabled notifications just a few minutes ago so I was notified of your reply.
Thank you vroom. All should be working now.

You got notified mainly because I mention you, if you look at the setting here you will see all the difference in all four modes that are available.

Enough hijacking on this topic by me, glad i could help.

Hey, I certainly didn’t mind the hijacking. :wink: Thanks vroom.

But yes, back to this pricey Panasonic Blu-ray business.

You didnt hijack anything, you asked a question that I had when i first used discourse.

Prices are hight, and its even harder to find panasonic BD here in Greece, most of then are Ritek, and if I am lucky Verbatim.