Panasonic BD-R 25G -- Where to purchase?

vbimport

Are the Panasonic BD-R 25G still considered one of the best quality blank BDs? Is the MID Code: MEI-T02-001 ?? Are these only manufactured in Japan? If this is correct, then where is the best place to purchase these (for someone from the US)? Is it ebay?

MEI-T02-001 is one of the MIDs Panasonic single layer BD-R discs have. The 4x variety. 2x are MEI-T01-001. 6x are MEI-RA1-001.

There was talk about Panasonic outsourcing production of the 4x blanks. I don’t know if that’s accurate, or if it has happened yet. If they’re not outsourced they’re made in Japan.

You can find the 4x variety pretty widely on eBay or on the Amazon.com marketplace. Note that some people have not been happy with the blanks they have received believing they received counterfeit discs or 2nds. There are a few posts around the forum to that effect.

A couple more questions on these Panasonics discs:

If there are concerns over the Panasonic 4X being outsourced, then would one be better off to pursue the 6X MEI-RA1-001 ??

Would all the Panasonic BD-R 25G 6X be of the MID: MEI-RA1-001 ? I asked one of the ebay sellers to confirm the MID code, and they replied they could not confirm.

Are the Verbatims (BD-R 25G 6X 97457) considered equally as good as the Panasonic?

As far as Panasonic outsourcing is concerned, there was a quite lengthy discussion on the subject in the following thread: http://club.myce.com/f33/new-panasonic-bdr-media-333019/

Others will know better - but I believe Verbatim outsource far more. See this list from Katraine: http://club.myce.com/f33/bd-r-blank-media-manufacturer-hides-behind-labels-333038/

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2705461]Are the Verbatims (BD-R 25G 6X 97457) considered equally as good as the Panasonic?[/QUOTE]No, they’re not.

I haven´t had any Panasonic BD-R not made by Panasonic so far, and i have many.

If You want to avoid trouble with customs for sure, buy Your Panasonics from a Marketplace seller with “fulfillment by Amazon”:

They ship from within the US.

You can get them cheaper from marketplace- or ebay-sellers shipping from Japan, but I don´t know, how US customs handles that kind of shipments.

The discs are genuine Panasonics made in Japan.

Verbatim BD-R25 6x 97457 are decent media with good quality on most popular writers, but You should expect higher LDC/BIS (error) rates in quality scans.

[QUOTE=katraine;2705538]I haven´t had any Panasonic BD-R not made by Panasonic so far, and i have many.

If You want to avoid trouble with customs for sure, buy Your Panasonics from a Marketplace seller with “fulfillment by Amazon”:

They ship from within the US.

You can get them cheaper from marketplace- or ebay-sellers shipping from Japan, but I don´t know, how US customs handles that kind of shipments.

The discs are genuine Panasonics made in Japan.

Verbatim BD-R25 6x 97457 are decent media with good quality on most popular writers, but You should expect higher LDC/BIS (error) rates in quality scans.[/QUOTE]

katraine
thank you very much for the info
what is the difference in the two links you provided?

There is no difference, You will get the same Panasonic spindle under both links, I don´t know, why there are different listings.

[QUOTE=katraine;2705590]There is no difference, You will get the same Panasonic spindle under both links, I don´t know, why there are different listings.[/QUOTE]

Great. Thank you!

I ordered a 50 spindle and received them yesterday. The MID code checked out MEI T02 001. That is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again for the advice katraine!

You´re welcome! :flower:

Speaking of Panasonic BD-R media, is there any logical reason why it’s cheaper to import it from Japan than to buy the offerings for the US market? For instance, a 25-pack of Panasonic 4x 25GB BD-R discs with a branded surface is $99.99 at Fry’s Electronics, whereas a 50 pack of the same discs with a full-face printable surface is ï¿¥4,675 at Amazon Japan, which works out to around $45.98 for the Japanese street price. We don’t see anywhere near this kind of price difference with CD and DVD media.

It seems Panasonic isn’t really interested in selling their media in the US.

I saw them on Ebay I believe in the 70 dollar range. Are these the ones you speak of?

It’s not just Panasonic, look at Verbatim. A 50 pack of BD-R DL at Amazon Japan, printable:

Price is 9580 Japanese Yen = 93.9127 US Dollars. That’s almost $30 cheaper than a 25 pack of Verbatim BD-R DL sold in the USA:

This is crazy. Why are BD-R prices so jacked up in the US?

jstop on ebay is selling the panasonic 50 spindle 25gb 4x bd-r pretty cheap

Yeah, that is a good price even imported from Japan. I’m just wondering why I can’t get a 50 pack of Panasonic BD-R printables retail for $50.

So it would be recommended in terms of quality and longevity to buy the Panasonic LM-BRS25LT50 (without 50 year archive label) for $75 (Amazon), rather than the Verbatim 97339 for $50 (Amazon)?

if your after quality and longevity then get the panasonics i think most members here would agree. :slight_smile:

Hello.
Today i burned my first Panasonic 4X BD-R 25GB , purchased trough ebay from seller jp-buy.

MID : MEI-T02-001

I burned them at 4X , in my Pioneer BDR-206 1.05 FW (Ebay china version)
I burned them at 4X , in my LiteOn iHBS-112-04 FW PY06
I Burned them at 4X , in my Asus BW-16D1HT FW 1.01

I must say, This is the best quality scans i have ever been able to achieve here.
Just for fun i tested some of my older 2x BDR-DL 50GB discs with Panasonic MID that i burned in 2009 , they were still very good scans even after 4 years! Better quality then some of my pressed original discs (regarding to AVG LDC / BIS atleast)

Also , i found this analysis of blu-ray media degradation,
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=34515

Where Panasonic (MEI-T02-001) had the longest durability.

I have included my Scans , all burned in 4x , and read in 4x.
(I Will post one more post later on , with scans burned at higher speeds like 6x 8x and 10x) Just takes forever to scan at 4x CAV.