PAL playback

vbimport

This may sound stupid, but do all PAL DVDs play back 4% faster than their theatrical exhibition? Or are some movies slowed down prior to mastering for DVD?

I can’t find anything erroneous to take issue with in this particular wikipedia article.

PAL’s 4% Speedup

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALSpeedUp/PALSpeedUp.asp

:cool: :cool:

Ok cool, thanks. I already knew the theory behind it. I was just wondering if there were any instances where the DVD production companies tried to compensate for this. I guess the answer is no.

I always knew PAL DVDs played 4% too fast, but I never really paid much attention to that fact. Then I was watching the PAL version of Lord Of War which I bought recently (since the Canadian/US version has the aspect ratio screwed up) and I noticed that the song during the credit sequence, “For What It’s Worth” by Buffalo Springfield, was about a semitone too sharp! Luckily, a simple click of “PAL TruSpeed” in WinDVD fixed the problem. :slight_smile:

What is the value added to the PAL format playing %4 faster?, is that makes the quality of playback more enhanced?.

It’s to do with the frame rate and also the refresh rate of PAL tv screens. I’ve been told that there are some electronic “tricks” that the studios use to preserve a film’s true playing speed when being played from a PAL region DVD.