PAL-NTSC COnversion Prob or copy protect?

vbimport

Hello all - A newbie here. Any help would be appreciated. I purchased a region 2/PAL DVD from UK. Not available here in US. Have tried converting with modest success. Converted video shows annoying horiz dark stripes along high contrast boundaries whenever rapid motion occurs. Some episodes (it’s a tv series) have none of this, others have a lot.

I have ripped the DVD with both AnyDVD and DVDShrink. I can watch the ripped files fine on PowerDVD or Nero,

BUT :confused: when I try to author the files on a new disc w/Nero the stripes appear. They appear on both the pre-burn preview and the burned disc. On the preview, it doesn’t seem to matter whether format is set to PAL or NTSC, the stripes appear on certain episodes. I can play the burned (NTSC converted) disc on my TV player but with the stripes. Is this another layer of copy protection?

In case its relevant, I’m using a SONY DRU-840A, Region 1, that I have patched to be region free, following directions I found posted here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sylvilagus :confused:

Most modern DVD Players and TVs can play PAL or NTSC without modification; check your hardware to see if it supported. If not it might be worth considering an upgrade since current entry level hardware should support this.

Otherwise, use FAVC, ConvertX or DVD Flick to convert your DVDs.

Slainte

midders

[QUOTE=midders;2464636]Most modern DVD Players and TVs can play PAL or NTSC without modification; check your hardware to see if it supported. If not it might be worth considering an upgrade since current entry level hardware should support this.

Otherwise, use FAVC, ConvertX or DVD Flick to convert your DVDs.

Slainte

midders[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I already checked both manual and actually tried the PAL disc. My TV is new but the player is a bit old and doesn’t have HDMI output. My understanding is that without HDMI connection the PAL/NTSC difference matters. I’ll be updating soon I imagine, once HD prices start to drop more. In the meantime I really want to make this conversion as I need it for a research project I am working on. Plus, it just bugs me that I can’t make it work. :sad:

After you rip the disk to the HD I’d try using AVS to DVD or, as mentioned, FAVC. These both can use HCenc which does a decent job of converting PAL -> NTSC (or versa).

[QUOTE=sylvilagus;2464645]My understanding is that without HDMI connection the PAL/NTSC difference matters[/QUOTE]
If your TV and DVD support both systems then the connection is irrelevant; SCART or coaxial connections work just as well.