PAL Format DVD Through NTSC

vbimport

I have a DVD player that will play Region 2 DVDs. Will a Region 2 DVD (PAL format) play through a US (NTSC) TV set (3-year old Sony WEGA)?

The all depends on the output your dvd player can generate. (And of course the input your dvd player can handle).
Most dvd players can play both or have an ‘auto’ function.

NTSC = 525 lines @ 60Hz
PAL = 625 lines @ 50 Hz

My Philips DVD640 can convert NTSC discs into PAL easily.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]The all depends on the output your dvd player can generate. (And of course the input your dvd player can handle).
Most dvd players can play both or have an ‘auto’ function.

NTSC = 525 lines @ 60Hz
PAL = 625 lines @ 50 Hz

My Philips DVD640 can convert NTSC discs into PAL easily. [/B]

Thanks for your prompt response. Forgive my ignorance concerning NTSC v. PAL. If my DVD player is outputting PAL then unless my US Sony TV set is dual format capable I won’t see the display. Correct?

Can you change the output on your Phillips from PAL to NTSC?

Originally posted by dramat
[B]Thanks for your prompt response. Forgive my ignorance concerning NTSC v. PAL. If my DVD player is outputting PAL then unless my US Sony TV set is dual format capable I won’t see the display. Correct?

Can you change the output on your Phillips from PAL to NTSC? [/B]

Quite correct.

I can set the INput on PAL , NTSC or " AUTO " ; the OUTput however is always PAL if i’m not mistaken.

Dunno for sure if you’re gonna get quality pictures if you transform PAL signal to NTSC. NTSC kinda sucks :slight_smile: It’s abbreviation is mocked by translating it into : Never The Same Color

You need the player to output a NTSC signal if your TV is not smart enough to understand what it’s being fed (most doesn’t).

Many region 2 DVD players do PAL and NTSC as PAL is used in Europe and NTSC in Japan, both region 2 areas. And as Mr B says, most output only to PAL, as it is a superiour image format. You need to find a player that outputs NTSC, they do exist.

[Edit: I’m slow]