PAL conversion to NTSC

I’m using Nero to burn some public domain, non copyrighted PAL avi’s to DVD’s. They are in PAL and many are high quality and do not suffer the following problem on computer playback.

On conversion to DVD and NTSC at 30 FPS I get choppiness (jerky motion) on anything with fast motion and sometimes even slow action. This is on a stand alone player which is part of a Home Theater System.

I think it is the framerate as it pops up in predictable time intervals where it may be perfect for a half minute then what I would call a frame jump or frame drop.

Question:

Is there anything I can do to get read of the slightly choppy video? Different framerate, anything?

Thanks Experts

You are trying to use Nero for PAL to NTSC conversions? It would not be my first choice for this particular problem.

There are a few programs that can be used for this type of conversion, including FAVC, The Film Machine and ConvertXtoDVD. The last one isn’t free, and though it claims this capability, I haven’t used it for this.

FAVC and The Film Machine can use the HC encoder for this process and FAVC will also use DGPulldown, which will help in the framerate conversion from PAL 25fps to NTSC 29.97.

I would try FAVC first and see if there is notable improvement. You could also seek advice over at videohelp.com

Here is the link for FAVC: http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2022131]You are trying to use Nero for PAL to NTSC conversions? It would not be my first choice for this particular problem.[/QUOTE]

Mine either anymore, did not even know the first AVI was in Pal and Nero popped up and said “convert?”

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2022131]There are a few programs that can be used for this type of conversion, including FAVC, The Film Machine and ConvertXtoDVD. The last one isn’t free, and though it claims this capability, I haven’t used it for this.[/QUOTE]

Have tried the last one, no improvement but only tried it once and the source material may have been to blame.

FAVC and The Film Machine can use the HC encoder for this process and FAVC will also use DGPulldown, which will help in the framerate conversion from PAL 25fps to NTSC 29.97.

I would try FAVC first and see if there is notable improvement. You could also seek advice over at videohelp.com

Here is the link for FAVC: http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/[/QUOTE]

OK, That is where I am headed, thanks a ton, I understand just enough on the pulldown to think it may solve the jerkeyness. Thanks a ton.