Padding Xvid AVI files to alter Aspect Ratio

vbimport

I got a bit of a conundrum. I have several video files (.AVI), all encoded Xvid, all audio PCM. All these files are at various different sizes and aspect ratios.

Some are 1920x816 some are 1280x1024. While any good video system will adjust and pad the video to fit the screen, I’m stuck with a playback device which stretches the image all out of proportion or fails to play.

What I need to do is convert all these files to 1920x1080 (16:9) by scaling them up to the limiting height/width and then adding black padding (letterboxing) to either the top/bottom or sides. I’d like to reconvert them as painlessly as possible w/o altering original bitrate, etc.

Does anyone know of a Windows-based program that’ll do this easily (i.e. GUI, without writing complex scripts, etc), preferably freeware?

Any help would be most appreciated.

You might take a look at www.videohelp.com, in the forums… I know I have read some stuff there about that, but I’ve never had the need to try it. I do know, that no matter what, you can’t convert them without stretching, but there was some info there on adding black around the frames…