Packet Writing question

I stumbled on this site quite by accident and appreciate all of the excellent information/suggestions provided in the forums. :bow:

Here’s my question - I’m running WinXP Pro w/ SP1. Under Win2000 and Win98/WinMe, I used Easy CD Creator. One of the features I liked about it was DirectCD.

After a clean install, I’m reconsidering my CD burning software. I can install the EZCD 5.1 Basic version that came with my system, go with EZCD 5.1 Platinum, or Nero 5.5.9.9.

I’ve read that InCD doesn’t work well with WinXP, and that certain parts of EZCD 5.1 don’t behave under WinXP either.

Would appreciate your suggestions/recommendations!

Thanx!:smiley:

just use nero .ezcd is not the best burning software .maybe even try cdmate.:bigsmile:

Originally posted by 2ndsign
just use nero .ezcd is not the best burning software .maybe even try cdmate.:bigsmile:

If you are replying, could you please read the question first? This is a question about packetwriting, so don’t recommend normal burning programs like Nero or Cdmate…

:confused:

Thanks for the repsonses. Thought about my question this morning - I know there are certain instabilities that Roxio brings to the table.

A more specific question would be, I’ve noted in other newsgroups postings that packet writing software (be it DirectCD, InCD, etc) can be unstable/unreliable.

1. What are your thoughts on EZCD in general and DirectCD in particular?

2. Would a better (and more stable) choice be Nero and use the built-in CDRW capabilities of WinXP?

Thanx!
:bow:

Read the stickies:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53834

1. EZCD is a very good beginner’s program, but limited as one’s
    sophistication grows. If you are not a beginner, use Nero.
    Directcd is easier to use than INCD, but you can’t load Directcd
    and INCD together on a computer as there is some kind of conflict,
    but most people stick to one program anyway. Mt. Rainier can be
    integrated with INCD, so that’s my choice.

2. Yes and No, as Mt. Rainier is not Windows-supported.

I have never gotten InCD to work properly under XP. Up until recently, I used VOB InstantWrite which has worked flawlessly. I just upgraded to a Mt. Rainier compatible drive and switched to DirectCD which, so far, has worked fine. It is also quite a bit faster than InstantWrite, which was unable to work with my new drive.

Originally posted by One Old Jedi
[B]I stumbled on this site quite by accident and appreciate all of the excellent information/suggestions provided in the forums. :bow:

Here’s my question - I’m running WinXP Pro w/ SP1. Under Win2000 and Win98/WinMe, I used Easy CD Creator. One of the features I liked about it was DirectCD.

After a clean install, I’m reconsidering my CD burning software. I can install the EZCD 5.1 Basic version that came with my system, go with EZCD 5.1 Platinum, or Nero 5.5.9.9.

I’ve read that InCD doesn’t work well with WinXP, and that certain parts of EZCD 5.1 don’t behave under WinXP either.

Would appreciate your suggestions/recommendations!

Thanx!:smiley: [/B]

The latest versions 5.3 of both Easy CD Creator Basic and Platinum work fine with WinXP. This includes DirectCD. Since you have the Platinum edition, you may as well load it to get the extra features as desired.

You can also load Nero 5.5.9.9 if you wish. There is no conflict between the standard burning programs of Easy CD Creator and Nero. However, only one packet writing program of this combination can be used, so if you load Roxio’s DirectCD, be sure not to load Nero’s InCD. If you try to load both packet writing programs, they will conflict and create errors.

I used InCD for quite a while with 98, but when I went to XP, I haven’t been able to get it to format a cd in udf format. It would write to one that had been formated fine, but just wouldn’t format it. I tried several different programs, couldn’t get one to work like I wanted until I tried DLA, which stands for Drive Letter Access. It comes with Record Now Max. I have formatted several cds and it is working fine.

Hope this helps,

bowhuntr

I have Nero and ECDC Basic (and DirectCD) running. My question was if I upgrade to the Platinum version of ECDC, will I lose drivers for my new Plextor 4824? It seems to be supported by the basic version that came with the drive, but is not in Roxio’s database of supported drives for the Platinum version.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]The latest versions 5.3 of both Easy CD Creator Basic and Platinum work fine with WinXP. This includes DirectCD. Since you have the Platinum edition, you may as well load it to get the extra features as desired.

You can also load Nero 5.5.9.9 if you wish. There is no conflict between the standard burning programs of Easy CD Creator and Nero. However, only one packet writing program of this combination can be used, so if you load Roxio’s DirectCD, be sure not to load Nero’s InCD. If you try to load both packet writing programs, they will conflict and create errors. [/B]

If you update EZCD Creator Platinum to the latest version 5.3.1.154, your Plextor will be recognized. Although it doesn’t show in the supported burners list on the Roxio site, it’s probably because they are slow in updating it.

An extract of the supported burners from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\CDEngine.dll shows the following entry:

{“PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A,PLEXTOR,CD-R PX-W4824A,BUR4012CS,cdrmmc.drv,155,1”}

Therefore, it should work. :wink:

Thanks Inertia.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]If you update EZCD Creator Platinum to the latest version 5.3.1.154, your Plextor will be recognized. Although it doesn’t show in the supported burners list on the Roxio site, it’s probably because they are slow in updating it.

An extract of the supported burners from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\CDEngine.dll shows the following entry:

{“PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A,PLEXTOR,CD-R PX-W4824A,BUR4012CS,cdrmmc.drv,155,1”}

Therefore, it should work. :wink: [/B]