Pacific Digital

I just picked up a Pacific Digital 8X Dual Format from Office Max on Sunday. They had the MagicSpin 8X Dual Format on sale for $80 after $100 in rebates. I got there 2 hours after they opened and they were out, so the subed the Pacific for $80 plus tax out the door. It is a model U-30201-RV1. Iwas wondering if this might be a rebadged LiteOn, or if anyone knows anything about these drives? Who makes them and are they any good?

Ya, same thing hapened to me yesterday as far as them offereing me the Pacific Digital. I also noticed it showed as a liteon drive in the device manager. So i called Pacific Digital and found out they just repackage the liteon driver and resell it.

Originally posted by dt196
I just picked up a Pacific Digital 8X Dual Format from Office Max on Sunday. They had the MagicSpin 8X Dual Format on sale for $80 after $100 in rebates. I got there 2 hours after they opened and they were out, so the subed the Pacific for $80 plus tax out the door. It is a model U-30201-RV1. Iwas wondering if this might be a rebadged LiteOn, or if anyone knows anything about these drives? Who makes them and are they any good?

Read on another forum, If the serial number starts with a “P”, it’s a BTC drive. If it starts with a “4”, it’s a Lite-On. I got a Lite-On 851

Richard 98, could you tell me where you got that information?

I got in on the same deal, though I walked across the street to Staples and had them price match the drive to make the deal even sweeter (110% price match and $25 rebate).

All told I got the drive for $54.

I bought it to replace my A05 which just died after maybe burning a total of 20 disks.

I guess for $50 I can just consider it a DVD+R only drive.

Originally posted by dt196
Richard 98, could you tell me where you got that information?

That would be the [H]ardForum.

Compilled from a couple of forums.

SN starts with:
a 4 and has only numbers in it = LiteOn
a 4 and has letters and numbers in it = NEC
P ** = BTC DRW1008IM

PN / UPC:
PN: U-30201 “8X DVD Burner Multi Format” on the box,
UPC 6 44405 30201 9:
Can be Lite-on, NEC, BTC

PN: U-30213, “8X+ 8X- DVD Burner” on the box
UPC 6 44405 30213 2 – likely NEC

Examples & precise identification:

Liteons
SN starts with: 4813*** = Lite-On 851 Black
SN starts with: 4794*** is lite on 811
SN starts with: 4823 = Lite-On 811 White
SN starts with: 43** = Lite-On 811
SN starts with: 4784**** = LiteOn 811 S
SN starts with: 4284xxx = LiteOn 811s, beige
SN starts with: 4793**** = LiteOn 851 white
SN starts with: 4303**** = LiteOn 811s black
SN starts with: 4293**** = LiteOn LDW-851S white

BTCs
SN starts with: P followed with numbers only

NECs
SN: 4iBF**** = NEC ND-2500A
SN: 41D6H7*** = NEC

Hope you now can tell what it’s before you opened it and even purchased it. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by hodr
[B]I got in on the same deal, though I walked across the street to Staples and had them price match the drive to make the deal even sweeter (110% price match and $25 rebate).

All told I got the drive for $54.

I bought it to replace my A05 which just died after maybe burning a total of 20 disks.

I guess for $50 I can just consider it a DVD+R only drive. [/B]

You missed it yesterday, when it was 69.99+tax out the door in addition to a $50 Mail in rebate :). Lets hope they honor the $50 rebate.