P4 vs athlon xp

vbimport

now that the p4 and xp are cheap and easy to find, which gives more bang for the buck?

In terms of what? What do you plan on doing with it?

Checking ebay real quick there are some great deals on Athlon X2 cpu’s, I think they would be better than a P4.

edit: Checking completed listings on ebay, the final price for a lot of them is too close to buying a new cpu. For the performance increase I think getting more modern stuff would be the better buy.

Agree, Athlon XP would be the better solution.

Only way one could recommend a P4 over an XP is if you were looking for your computer to multi-task as a portable space heater as well.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2458547]
Only way one could recommend a P4 over an XP is if you were looking for your computer to multi-task as a portable space heater as well.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I had a P4 (1.4gig) awhile back and I can so agree with that :bigsmile:

I was very fond of it though, stable as heck.

This is an awesome combo deal: AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz and GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H for $100. The MB is capable of unlocking the second core in the cpu, its not guaranteed but possible. If the second core can’t be unlocked the cpu can be overclocked.

I’m buying a 64 bit dual core soon so I can a performance increase of 30% with tovid. I will use this machine for compiling and using reconstructor to make a custom ubuntu. The p4 or athlons I will be using for research, web authoring, listening to music, and ripping music.

The reason I think I wanted advice, is because they’re isn’t really a price based comparison. Only real numbers and user experience. I am interested in the barton athlon xp because it can overclock without damage from what I’ve learned. But the P4 has hyperthreading, and I’m not sure if this was really used by any software.

Hyperthreading was ahead of it’s time. Back then apps were not multi-thread aware, so it offered no real benefit. Of course today there are multi-core CPU’s available.

Hyperthreading does not offset the real world performance advantage the Athlon XP has over the P4.

At the end of 2004, my cousin and I both built new computers. He built a system around an Athlon 3500+, I around a P4 550. I figured with an over 1GHz advantage, give or take a few MHz for overclock, I would come out on top. The systems were roughly comparable, but every benchmark we ran showed his system to be faster.

thanks. that is awesome to know!