P4 running hot?

vbimport

Hi, I’m running the config below and wonder if my idle temp is normal or too high, or if perhaps my Zalman CNP S7000C-Cu heat sink is poorly seated. Idle at stock clock settings is 43-44, after 10 min of Prime95 temp is 57. Overclocked to 3.2GHz, idle is 46 and 63-64 under load. Temps do not change when overclocked to 3.4 and vcore at 1.6V, but I backed off to 3.2 with vcore at 1.55V as 3.4 was on the edge of stability. The “stock” idle seems high from what I see on forums. Temps are from the Probe V2.18.0 utility supplied by Asus with the mobo in 2001.

Config: P4 2.8 Northwood 512meg, .13 micron, revision D1 family F, brandID 9. Asus P4AG-V mobo.

Thanks in advance…

First you may want to use [B]HWMonitor[/B] from [B]CPUID[/B] :clap: There’s a free and shareware version.

Look at the screenshot on their page. You can see it can track Highs/Lows/Current info. This is assuming that your BIOS supports this feature.

Also see [B]HARDWARE - What a Difference a Case Makes[/B]

Note my comment on where the PSU is mounted. Having a PSU in the vicinity of your CPU & memory is [B]not smart design[/B].

[QUOTE=tecknode;2476851]First you may want to use [B]HWMonitor[/B] from [B]CPUID[/B] :clap: There’s a free and shareware version.

Look at the screenshot on their page. You can see it can track Highs/Lows/Current info. This is assuming that your BIOS supports this feature.

Also see [B]HARDWARE - What a Difference a Case Makes[/B]

Note my comment on where the PSU is mounted. Having a PSU in the vicinity of your CPU & memory is [B]not smart design[/B].[/QUOTE]

That’s generally good advice. But although the Antec Three Hundred case that’s described in that link can accomodate power supply units with bottom-mounted fans (due to its mount which leaves a sizable gap between the bottom of the PSU and the bottom panel of the case), some cases (like my Antec Nine Hundred) leave no gap whatsoever and thus require a PSU which has a fan mounted in the rear.

pcguy9441 welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Those seems like decent temps, Zalman doesn’t make top coolers either. You should be fine as long as you don’t overdo the temps and voltage. Don’t expect too much from the P4 and you won’t be disappointed.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2476904]pcguy9441 welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Those seems like decent temps, Zalman doesn’t make top coolers either. You should be fine as long as you don’t overdo the temps and voltage. Don’t expect too much from the P4 and you won’t be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. What’s your recommended cooler. I thought Zalman was top tier. It’s pretty big with lotta fins and all copper. I’m not a gamer, so no plans to burn the candle at both ends.

[QUOTE=pcguy9441;2476916]I thought Zalman was top tier. It’s pretty big with lotta fins and all copper.[/QUOTE]

The biggest problem with that “cooler” is that the Zalman CPU “coolers” are designed for quietness first, performance second. There is no free lunch–and the coolers which do best at cooling tend to be relatively noisy themselves.

Personally I would stick with that cooler and not expect a crazy OC from that cpu. When you build a new system get a new cooler and have a blast OC’ing.

OK, thx for the inputs all…

pcguy8441,

I think those temps are about normal for P4.
I have a neighbor with a similar setup.
P4 @ 2.6 ghz with Asus board and stock cooler.
His temps are 4-6 degrees higher than yours, but the ambient room temp here is about 26-34 degrees on average.