P4 or AMD xp to rip

After reading this thread i would like to ask if i want to backup DVD to DivX is it better to get a Pentium 4 2.0 or AMD XP 2.0.
Is P4 better and more stable to work with all these programs?
This is my first post in this forum, congratulations and keep that good work.:bow:

Welcome to the forum, hope you like your stay.

My experiance has shown the AMD will encode faster than a same speed P4. My AMD 2.1 is only 1-2% slower than a mates P4 2.4 with regards to converting times with CCE or TMPGEnc.

But I’m sure there will be another 20 posts here with 20 different opinions on this sensitive issue.

Reading the last thread “problem pc instant reeboot when ripping” makes me feel that with the AMD i should optimize the fsb see the ram…is the same with P4?
I’m not concern just wich encods faster , but wich most friendly to use. Or is it the same and depends how your system is configurated.:confused:

Naturally a good M/B helps, together with good ram and good drivers to run it all. I have an Asus K7V333 with DDR2100 ram (not known brand names) and latest VIA drivers. Runs like a clock 24hr per day and substantial time at 100% CPU utilization converting. I’m on Windows2000 SP3 and I really cant get any greater stablity, like it just doesnt fall over.

Originally posted by jjgameiro
After reading this thread i would like to ask if i want to backup DVD to DivX is it better to get a Pentium 4 2.0 or AMD XP 2.0.
Is P4 better and more stable to work with all these programs?
This is my first post in this forum, congratulations and keep that good work.:bow:

Do you mean AXP 2.0 Ghz (not 2000+ :wink:

Yeah,take AXP 2.0 Ghz,it will beat ANY P4 except the 3.06 with HT enable :wink: :wink: (it cheap near a half when compare with P4 3.06 :wink: :wink:

Don’t forget take the nForce2 ,too.Mem bandwitdh is important with Video Encoding :wink:

I think most summed it up but if isn’t clear enough (since I own a few PC from each brand), it doesn’t really matter what brand of PC chip you use.

What is important is how you maintain your system and the other hardware & software you use.

Important with either an Intel or AMD that you have good hardware to go with them (choose your motherboard & HDD, DVD-ROM drive, etc… carefully) and you will be A-OK.

Some people have too many codecs and things they mix and match that can cause their instabilities and then blame things on their CPUs. This happens often with codec packs (Nimo example) being installed left and right.

Hope this helped.

Originally posted by jjgameiro
if i want to backup DVD to DivX is it better to get a Pentium 4 2.0 or AMD XP 2.0.

AMD kicks ass. Its only above 2.5 Ghz. that the P4 can hold its against the Athlon XP. Also the Athlon XP comes at a dream price - what more can you ask for :slight_smile:

See http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20011031/xpvsp4-15.html

and the page for DivX encoding: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20011031/xpvsp4-08.html

Now please no fights - this is just my opinion :wink:

I’d also suggest you read up on Dee-ehn’s sticky thread at: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61326

I’m not sure about this, but doesn’t CCE (recent versions) benefit from SSE2 CPU’s?