P4 H.T. 2.4ghz cpu temperature

Hi, I just put together a computer with a P4 H.T. 2.4ghz and been measuring my temperature of the processor and it is on constant from 43-45 degrees Celsius on idle, I mean idle when i have my typical virus scanner running and stuff like that, nothing extreme. Inside temperature of the system is at 32, I just want to know if anyone out there knows if this is ok for the processor temp. I have a large copper heat sink and fan on it, a zalman ultra quiet cpu cooler, what does anyone out there think? Is this ok, stable, or no? H.T. is enabled is also.

How is it being measured?

It is measured through the bios also through aida32.

BIOS temps are often wrong, often measured in the socket instead of the CPU, and so on. It sounds like an adequate temp, your case is a tad warm but not extreme. If you are really concerned, thermal probes are the only way to know. I keep one tucked under my CPU cooler right next to the CPU die.

When should I worry for the processor, around what temps? Also, you say that is good or ok what it is now, how can i get it cooler without using watercooling, anything simple to buy? I thought the heatsink/fan i baught was fine, but my friend baught an aero cool and his is at the mid 30s. Anyways thanks for the help and if you don’t mind can you please answer these last questions.

p.s. what do you think about thermoelectric cooling?

Your P-4 doesn’t require any special cooling, and unless you are overclocking and over-volting it, it’ll be fine. It is rated for max temps, consult your documentation. It’s the 100% load temps that you need to check. Personally I wouldn’t worry much about it.

Those temps are fine start worrying if it creeps up around the 60c mark, intel cpus are much better for protection when it comes to heat they will auto downclock themselves if they get up into the really high temps atleast thats what they do if they are overclocked, im using a very crap cheap case with 1 rear case fan and no front fans and my 2600+ sits at around the 36c-41c mark when idle and gets to about 44c under heavy use mb temp sits between 24-28c, 1 way to tell if your case is setup properly is to remove the side and if it gets hotter it means its setup right if it gets cooler its wrong, but this is a very rough test and not always 100% correct

EDIT- and like the other person said mb sensors are sometimes liars and not 100% only a rough guide

For more accurate temperature reading, google and download MBM 5.

Nice choice on the heatsink. Your tempts are fine though.

Originally posted by Stoner
For more accurate temperature reading, google and download MBM 5.

I may be wrong, but doesn’t MBM just read the information from the built-in sensors of the mainboard? If so, this information should be identical to the information gathered by other (similar) programs.

Might be nice to test this once… install some of these programs and let them read the same values at the same time…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]I may be wrong, but doesn’t MBM just read the information from the built-in sensors of the mainboard? If so, this information should be identical to the information gathered by other (similar) programs.

Might be nice to test this once… install some of these programs and let them read the same values at the same time… [/B]

MBM does allow you to choose what diodes to monitor, which is sometimes helpful. The utilities offered by the MB makers generally do not. The accuracy of the MB diodes is a topic of hot debate in many forums, generally they’re not considered accurate.
There’s still no substitute for a few thermal probes.

Originally posted by Mr Brownstone
1 way to tell if your case is setup properly is to remove the side and if it gets hotter it means its setup right if it gets cooler its wrong, but this is a very rough test and not always 100% correct

i thought it was the other way round . enclosed was hotter and with case removed it was cooler . can someone please explain the thoery behind this