P2P (Azaurus) Mega slow by ISP in Daytime

Hi, Im from the UK and use BT internet broadband 8MB although because of distance from exchange i can only download off fast web sites at about 150kbs ish, but during the day using Azaurus i can only download at a max of 10kbs - 30kbs but at night i can download up to 100kbs-180kbs MAX and even thats slow considering my line rate.
Is there anything i can do about this, why should i pay for an 8mb line and only download between 10kbs and 200kbs.
Heres my results using the BT broadband speed test:

Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 2000 k
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2464 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1769 kbps

I can understand maybe the speed because of the distance from the exchange and there only can give me a 2mb line but the azurus speed is ridiculas.
Please help,
Dan

Welcome to CDF’s

The only way to get faster speeds with the speeds you have using Azureus is to be able to connect to as many seeds and peers as you can. To be able to do that is to pick the torrent that has the most seeds/peers from your torrent search.

Does that answer you question?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’d also be surprised if BT weren’t throttling speeds at certain times. Might want to check and see if they do.

I’m with Virgin (formerly Telewest) and since the takeover they’ve started doing it to certain customers if they see a lot of traffic on that customer’s line.

Try this link . It shows how to possibly overcome your ISP’s attempt to restrict our speeds.

Other note’s

Port forwarding ports, if you have not already.

If you are a Windows XP SP2 user it limits half-open connections (SYN) to a maximum of 10 (the previous limit was over 65,000). This is supposed to slow down certain viruses because their spreading strategy is to try to connect to a high amount of random IP numbers.

The drawback with this connection limit is that other legitimate network intensive applications can be slowed down as well. Applications like security network scanners, peer-to-peer (P2P) applications or a combination of network applications that a power user may be using (VPN, FTP, p2p, RDP, SSH, “Firefox on steroids” and more). So you may need to use the Windows XP SP2 Event ID 4226 patch, but use it at your own risk!

If you are a Windows Vista user default limit is based on which edition of Vista users are using. For example, Home Basic has maximum limit of 2, and Vista Ultimate is 25 per second. Normal Windows Vista users should not face any problem or slow network connection with the half-open connections limit. However, heavy P2P (peer-to-peer) applications users such as uTorrent, BitTorrent, BitComet, Azureus, ABC, eMule (eDonkey network), etc, or P2PTV such as TVants, PPLive, PPStream, Sopcast, etc may face some error or slow download and upload speed due to this limit. So you may need to use Windows Vista tcpip.sys Connection Limit Patch for Event ID 4226. Again use at your own risk!

:cool: :cool: