Overview of Sony DVD-Writers

vbimport

Now that the LiteOn forum has been renamed to the LiteOn/Sony forum, I guess we are now taking in the “other” Sony drives–the Sony drives that are not manufactured by the Sony-LiteOn alliance–that otherwise don’t have a home on this forum. So here’s a quick overview of Sony DVD burners…

Credits: Most of this information was compiled from firmware database and forums of The Firmware Page (rpc1.org)

Looking for an overview of LiteOn DVD-writers? Go here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/dvdrw_overview.html

<HR SIZE=“1” NOSHADE STYLE=“border-top: 1px dotted #555555”>
Sony DRU-110A

Sony DRU-120A

Sony DRU-500A, Sony DW-U10A, and Sony DW-U12A

Sony DRU-510A, Sony DW-U14A

• designed and manufactured in-house by Sony
  • firmwares (incl. region-free): http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=30
  • DW-U14A is the bulk OEM version of the DRU-510A
  • DW-U14A to DRU-510A conversion: thread
  • problems updating DW-U14A from 1.xx to 2.xx: thread
  • The LiteOn LDW-440D is a rebadged DRU-510A and is not made by LiteOn
  • you cannot use LiteOn tools/firmwares/etc. for this drive!

Sony DRU-530A

Sony DRU-540A

Sony DRU-700A, Sony DW-U18A, and Sony DW-D18A

Sony DRU-710A, Sony DW-U20A, Sony DW-U21A, Sony DW-D22A, and Sony DW-D23A

Sony DRU-720A, Sony DRU-800A, Sony DW-D26A, and Sony DW-Q28A

<HR SIZE=“1” NOSHADE STYLE=“border-top: 1px dotted #555555”>
Sony DW-P50A, Sony DW-U50A

Sony DW-P54A, Sony DW-U55A

Sony DW-R56A, Sony DW-D56A

Sony DW-Q58A, Sony DW-Q60A

• slimtype laptop drive
  • rebadged LiteOn slim-3S drives
  • for more information, consult the LiteOn and LiteOn-Sony alliance DVD-writer overview
  • you can use LiteOn tools/firmwares/etc. for this drive
  • information for these drives are still sketchy at best! not all information will be entirely accurate, and any corrections or additions are welcome

Sorry!
I just got a new Sony Vaio with the Sony DW-Q58A.
Which drive is this really? (I mean which Lite-On modell)

Thanks!!

Pianoman >
Bottom of the page > http://codeguys.rpc1.org/dvdrw_overview.html As you can see i have that drive in my sig. I sent you a PM

hi,
on the download page there is no firmware for the Sony DW-P54A only for the P50A. does anyone know where to find the P54A firmware?

I wasn’t paying close enough attention last spring and flashed by DW-R56a over to a SOSW-852S liteon (DW-D56A) burner. It wrote to + and - R discs, but I was having hit and miss results with DVD+RW, which could have been due to a number of things (only tried 1 type of media, for example.) Is this because of the wrong flash? I switched it back, but am curious if I stumbled onto something with my drive. Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Hi code65536,

good idea of pulling in Sony. What I’m missing are Sony’s external drives. Just to name one:

DRX-810UL, a rebagded BenQ DW1640 in external enclosure with USB/FireWire.

Is there already available/announced a rebagded 1650/55?

mumdigau

hey guys cant find anywhere to make my Sony DWQ120AB2 region free any help or anyone know of the lite-on equivellant…??? thanks guys

@j4ck45s
the q120a is a SHW-160P6S. you can make it region free with ltnrpc: http://dhc014.rpc1.org/LtnRPC/LtnRPC.zip
just press disable.

thanks chok0, im downloading it now…its fairly simple once ive downloaded it or is anything i have to watch out for??

i already wrote “just press disable”.

About using ltnrpc.
It depends a bit on whether you have done a “recent” flash update.
On my LiteOn 1693, disabling the region setting causes it to yowl that the region setting may have been altered.

I thought it made more sense to re-set the “user” count to 5 and the “vendor” count to 4, and leave the region lock on. It keeps the silly bits happy.

i downloaded the file and ran the program and thought i had disabled the region coding on the drive but it still not working wat am i doing wrong???

i know this sounds dump. but take into account the source. now my question. i have a year old lite on 165 and just recieved a new super 165. can i flash the old one to update it to the new and if not which should be primary {read} drive and which should be the secondary [write] drive. and any thoughts on wether they will run better with 6.6 nero or nero 7 which i would warn you that there maybe bad copies in the system. i recently purchased a oem version that will not install on a dell a or a abit based amd machine. :bow: :bow: :bow: my most humble appologize for having to ask this question. :bow: :bow: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I think you need to check the number on the year old 165. Perhaps it’s a 1653S, which cannot be flashed to anything other than the latest 1653S firmware CS0T (see my site). :wink:

I have this drive:SONY DVD RW DW-D22A. I have the latest firmware for it, I read somewhere else that liteon/sony drives dont like -R media, which I use (verbs x16), should I change my media. I always seem to get low and poor results when using vso inspector. Also I cant seem to burn faster than x8? I thought this drive could burn @x16! can anyone help me please?

your drive can only write 16x on dvd+r media. the max speed for -r media is 8x. but you can crossflash to liteon 1653S CS0T firmware, and get 12x support for -r media.
follow this guide if you want to crossflash, but take this firmware instead of CG5J.

I am guessing a typo exists (probably second term).

Sony is AWSOME!

Hi All,
I have tried a lot in burning a DVD. I have wasted 10 DVD’s untill now. I am using Nero as my writing software.

I starts the burning , says successfully completed. But when Data Verification starts its says “read errors” . In the log its like this :

10:53:55 PM #66 SPTI -1502 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 290
G: CdRom0: SCSIStatus(x02) WinError(0) NeroError(-1502)
Sense Key: 0x04 (KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR)
Sense Code: 0x08
Sense Qual: 0x03
CDB Data: 0x28 00 00 00 02 70 00 00 10 00 00 00
Sense Area: 0x70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 3C 91 00 00 08 03
Buffer x06893e00: Len x8000

Attached is the NeroLog.txt. When I did a scanDisc by inserting a blank DVD, It says 100% bad disk . Am I working with a non compatible disk ?Iam using "moserbaer PRO DVD R 4.7GB / 8X " Discs.

Iam completely confused over what to do ?

Please help me
Regards
Ravi Kumar

New to this forum. I have been reading alot about bitsetting, flashing, crass flashing etc… Over the last couple of weeks. I have A Sony DRU-710A (last firmware update BYX5) double layer burner. I am wondering if crossflashing with the Lite-On 1633S firmware would give me the ability for bitsetting my burner? What other advantages would this give me?