Oversized audio tapes

vbimport

I am a complete newbie! I am trying to import - via Audacity - music from my audio tapes into my PC so I can transfer them to an audio CD.

1. A sixty-minute tape fills up some 987 mb - nearly a gig, whereas an off-the-shelf audio cd has about 100mb. (Click on ‘Properties’) Is it normal to take up this much space?
  2. I managed to get the tracks onto a disc - I think - using WMP, but the disk has no sound in a discplayer. I used WAV, not MP3 or OGG. What am I doing wrong??
  3. Is there an alternative, easier, way to do this??

A standard audio CD(Redbook) is PCM/wav 16/44.1khz…A typical CD disc is 700MB or ~74-79 min of wav audio…If burning a data disc(i.e mp3 files, then you can fit up to ~700MB of data…

Now for your problem(s)…When recording from tape, did you hear the sound when recording with Audacity, as well as when playing back the recorded track?..
Did you save as, one large wav file?..Can you play the wav before burning to disc???..

Thank you for your reply. I stand corrected on the disc capacity.

1. Can I hear the playbacks? Yes to both.
  2. Did I save as WAV? Yes.
  3. Can I play the WAV before burning? Yes, in WMP; haven’t tried Audacity before burning.
    Both tracks are in WMP library, but when asked to ‘Burn To Disc’ the burn is refused because there is insufficient capacity on the disc.
    Reducing to one track to burn, effectively half capacity, “an error occurs”, and the burn still fails. Why is this?
    If I used OGG when prompted, would this allow the two tracks (both sides of a 60min audio tape) to fit onto the 700mb disc??

Both tracks are in WMP library, but when asked to ‘Burn To Disc’ the burn is refused because there is insufficient capacity on the disc.

What is the running time of the wav(s) you’re trying to burn?..
Remember Audio CD is ~74-79 min of audio…Might need to split the wav…
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Splitting_recordings_into_separate_tracks

If I used OGG when prompted, would this allow the two tracks (both sides of a 60min audio tape) to fit onto the 700mb disc??

Only if you burn a DATA disc, or ~700mb of data…If you choose to burn a standard(see wiki link)Audio CD, from the OGG files, the burning app will convert/decode to wav 16/44.1khz/ 1,411 kbps…When burning a standard Audio CD from the wav(s), it is the running time that matters…Again, 74~79 min of audio, max…

I had this dilemma myself when converting some tapes to CD, the only real choice is to burn each side onto separate CD’s. Use something like audacity, find the start of side 2 in the wave file and split it off the main file ( cut as in a word processor ) save as two files (side one + side two ) then burn each side to disc.

Thank you dougie, I’ll give it another try…