Overheating?/

vbimport

Hello People,

I have noticed a problem lately that whn I am running a couple of simple applications on the computer, for example, messenger and a few explorer windows…the computer seems to become very jerky and stick for a while. When i go into task manager it says that my CPU is running at 100% when i am not even running anything to overload it.

When i went into my hardware monitor it says my CPU temperature is 71 degrees celsius which i assume is way too high. All the fans on my computrer are spinning. The cpu fan, the motherboard fan and the graphics card fan are all working yet i have a high temp.

SO, is this temp dangerous to my equipment and is it likely to be causing the sticking in the running of programs?

win2000
soltek SL-FRN2 m/b
athlon xp2000
leadtek fx5600
512mb ram

thanks everyone

I running a 2.8E (a.k.a. Preshott) at 3.3 GHz and I get worried when I reach 55°c. Running at 71°c is not good. Make sure that your heat sink is properly attached and you are using good thermal paste (not thickly applied, link on how too apply paste http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm). OCZ Ultra 5 or Arctic Silver are good choices for thermal paste.
Also, what heat sink are you using? These are very good Swiftech MCX64-V, Thermalright (Copper) XP-90 or 120 Heatsink, and also Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu Cooler. The first two also require a good fan, best if you can control the fan, run it on high when gaming and on low when suffering the web. Good luck.

I am using the standard cooling system supplied by AMD.

The core temp is 74 degree celsius and the ambiant temp is 43 degree celsius.

Is this normal?

Only of your objective is to turn your computer into a coffee maker in the near future. You should take a look at your HSF and check and make sure that it is mounted correctly with the proper amount of thermal grease. You should be no higher than 52-56 C under load.

Contrary to popular rumor, the English do know how to cook. They just don’t know when to stop. /.

Way to hot even with a cheap Heat sink! Something is not right. Are you next a heater or radiator? Even if there is some program running in the background that you are unaware of, your temp should not reach 71°c. It seems to me that either your thermal paste is shot and or your heat sink is not making a proper connection to your CPU.
You will ruin your CPU running that hot at idle. You should get this fix right away and use some other computer to look at this forum. Turn it off and make sure your there is proper amount of thermal paste on your CPU and that your heat sink is making proper contact.

strange that have such a high cpu workload when you are not running any programs might be a good idea to do a full system virus scan to make sure you have not got any viruse’s or worms running in the back ground

Also, you can check out http://www.3degs.net/mbmcfg/index.php?page=browse&dsn3=cpusupport&core=latest where you can find temp readings on different CPU’s. Good luck.

A heavy worm load would be my guess too - do you have any antivirus, firewall, antispyware.

In task manager check and see what process is using the cpu. It sounds like a virus or a trojan worm.

When I process video, taking 8Gb down to 4.5Gb at a smooth setting with DVD Shrink, which does takes some time, I’ve never reach 60c using an overclocked Preshott.
71c :eek: sounds like a real problem to me, worm or not.

To be honest i not sure how accurate the hardware monitor is. My moms computer which is a amd 2000+ in a compaq computer says her temps are 55C at idle, where my xp3200+ idles at 39C. I have a better heatsink but i really question te accuracy of onboard temp sensors.

The temperatures are inflated by 5-12C on an Abit motherboard from the “actual” temperatures.

I don’t know what the case is with Soltek motherboards.

I would say it’s hot but have seen a Athlon +2800 running at 86 degrees celcius and this was in a OEM Packard bell.

That is within 4 degrees C of complete thermal destruction.

If it isn’t broken, take it apart and find out why /.

With only the stock fans in my PC (CPU fan, Chipset fan, and PS fan), my Athlon 2400+ CPU runs at 45 C. So yeah, 70 C is way too high for your Athlon 2000…

Adding a front case fan, side fan, and a 120mm exhaust fan to my case, my CPU temp goes down to 35 C. When further adding a software cooling program such as CPUIdle Extreme (running in advanced cooling mode), my CPU temp drops down further to 30 C(!)

(All before and after temperature readings were taken from my motherboard BIOS, and using Motherboard Monitor software to confirm the accuracy of the readings).

So again, 70 C is way too high. Although I have many drives in my home PC (2 HD’s, 2 optical drives, internal zip and floppy drives, as well as front USB and sound header cables attached to the MB), I am using rounded 80-wire IDE cables for ALL my drives including the HD’s (purchased from Newegg), and have all the cables and wires inside my case neatly tucked away and arranged in a way that it maximizes airflow inside the case.

The mess of dangling wires and cables in your case restricts the airflow inside your PC, creating more heat inside the case. So take the time to organize, tape up, and rubberband that jungle of power supply wires and drive cables inside your PC. And get rid of those big flat, ugly parallel IDE cables if you have them. Then put in a couple case fans or three positioned PROPERLY inside the case, which work wonders to reduce the case and CPU temps.

How can a software program reduce your CPU temp by 5C?
…Doesn’t make sense…

You’d be amazed…I didn’t believe it either until I tried the 30-day trial of CPUIdle Extreme.

CPUIdle has been very popular for years among overclockers using 98/2000/XP, to help get their CPU temps down, and those guys probably know what they’re talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

See how it works: www.cpuidle.de

Remember if you decide to try the demo, try all 3 modes (OS, S1 and C2) in the options to see which one gives you best results, and use your MB monitoring program and/or BIOS to measure the before/after results. For me, I find the C2 advanced mode works best and gets my idle temp down to 28 C, and maxes out at 30 C to 35 C when I’m doing something CPU-intensive such as playing a 3D game.

CPUIdle suggests that you install the Motherboard Monitor program alongside it, but it isn’t necessary.

i have Folding@Home running 24/7 as a background process on both my machines and they don’t break 50C (both at 47C right now). both machines overclocked - 1 by 200mhz the other by 400mhz.

I’ll try it when I get the chance.

They explained Idle part about turning the CPU off when it’s not needed…but how does it fare under load?
Can it reduce your temp effectively under heavy multitasking conditions (Running a resource hogger like NAV, Unzipping a large file, encoding a dvd, recieving a large 4.4GB file on MSN, playing Doom 3) all at the same time without reducing the framerate, or completion time of the other programs?

The person on that site who made a comment and said his CPU temp dropped by 36C is unbelivable.
I’m pretty sure most (If not ALL) comments on the site was made under idle rather than full load.

increase CPU life (a decrease by 10°C doubles the life span)
A temperature increase of 10 degrees centigrade means a halfed lifetime for chips.

That statement dosen’t make sense and is unproven.
CPU life dosen’t change during overclocking unless you change the voltage.
CPU lifespan has always been determined by voltage and not temperature.

Currently, I have Winamp 5 streaming my favorite MP3 music on my comp, while I am typing this. AVG anti-virus ia also running in the background.

So at the moment I’m doing at least 4 things at once: surfing the internet, listening to streaming MP3 music, downloading a software update for Windows XP, and running an anti-virus program.

For monitoring, I 'm running Dr. Speed, a Win XP program that came with my MB. This monitoring program informs me of my core and system temps in realtime. With CPUIdle running in C2 mode, my core temp is showing between 28 C and 32 C, with all those programs running at once.

Now when I unload CPUIdle, in less than a minute my core temp shoots back up to 36 C - 38 C. When I reload CPUIdle, it quickly goes back down to the sub 30 C temp range. So I know without a doubt that my computer would be running significantly hotter WITHOUT the CPUIdle software.

To me, that is proof positive that this program does exactly what it is designed to do. And it works while the CPU is under load, not only when it is idle. Keep in mind that I also utilize hardware cooling methods (ie: several case fans running, using rounded IDE cables, etc.) in addition to the software method to keep my CPU cool, so your results may not turn out as good as mine…

The Linux OS has utilized this kind of software cooling method for years, as a built-in function, so its not like its anything new or groundbreaking.

ANY OS or software program can take advantage of the modern processor’s ability to accept what’s known as HLT commands, to keep the processor running cooler, if said OS chooses to!