Overclocking?

I have never overclocked any of the computer hardware that I have owned in the past. I was going to play with my old Dell Optiplex GX110 (PIII 800 MHZ).

But for the life of me I can’t figure out how to overclock the thing. Everything I read just says to crank up the FSB speed in the BIOS. But the FSB cannot be changed in my BIOS (Dell A09).

I assume I have to use some hacked FW for the BIOS or something, but I’m not sure.

Thanks in advanced,
adict

Most dells are not capable of being overclocked. Certain motherboards and certain bios’s allow for overclocking. It’s not really worth it, unless you want to go with additional cooling, and have a good chip like some of the celerons that overclock to extremes.

Hmmm - P3 800Mhz I reckon you could crank it to maybe 801Mhz. :stuck_out_tongue:

But for the life of me I can’t figure out how to overclock the thing. Everything I read just says to crank up the FSB speed in the BIOS. But the FSB cannot be changed in my BIOS (Dell A09).

There is much more to it than that. A total nOOb to OC’ing will just crank up the FSB and expect amazing performance. Generally cranking up the FSB will result in instability. The FSB affects the RAM speed, and some RAM cannot be OC’d - causes crashes/fails to boot, so you have to alter FSB to DRAM ratio’s or in the case of DFI (and others) limit the RAM Speed.(which can actually reduce performance as the RAM and FSB should be in harmony) If you pull a higher frequency chances are you’ll need to up the voltage to the CPU - Very Risky. The unit is also going to run hotter and your warranty has just became void. In short you need to get the right parts before you even think about OC’ing. Check out the unit listed in my sig - after much trial and error have pushed the CPU to 3800+ (2421Mhz) the RAM to 440Mhz, my PCIe Bus to 108Mhz and my card to 480/1300Mhz.(430/1200 stock)