Overclocking liteon's is 100% safe, I have proof

vbimport

Hey, i just thought i’d let you guys know, i bought a liteon 52246S today and was for some odd reason double labeled. Great i thought, it’s a RMA’d drive(i’m exchangeing it tomorrow). Well, let’s see why the replaced no only the serial # but the model # as well…Peel back a corner of the 52246S label to find what? a 48246S label! Liteon definately only makes one batch and just set’s their speed via firmware… I’ll post a pic later, if i get a chance before i return this supposedly “new” drive.

Just because you can flash a Lite-On 48 to 52 doesn’t mean all their 52s are 48s w/ 52 lables.

Where did you buy your 52? I suspect it’s the vendor that’s doing the funny sticker switch.

FalcomPSX,

IF your findings were the generally accepted norm at Lite-On (I’m not saying it is or it isn’t), then wouldn’t it be likely then that the 48x drives are then somehow inferior in quality and are flashed with 48x firmware to avoid problems in hardware tolerances?

regards,
Halcyon

no that is possible…many hardware products have features that are disabled by firmware

But is would be nice if you mail Lite-on about, curious about there reaction.

it is used a lott with mobo’s where the raid controler is crippled by firmware. A new firmware mod then can en able it

an other example is the new ati radeon 9100, which is a 8500 with new firmware

I’m sure the drive is not inferior in anyway, but i just personally don’t like to know i have a re-labeled drive. Plus, it has two serial #'s on the drive too, one covered up. That tells me it’s a RMA’d drive, and i supposedly bought a new drive. Funny thing is i bought this from my own work(where that is i’ll keep to myself for now). I don’t think it’s something funny that my own work is trying to pull, but it is definately a possibility. Either way, i’ve already exchanged the drive for a new good(by my standards) drive. Sorry, no pics. I’d shoot a email to lite-on, but without pics to backup my claim, i’m sure they’d just deny it. I’m not mad though. The purpose of this thread is to show that I’m pretty sure lite-on doesn’t speed rate their drives as cpu’s are often rated. They simply disable the additional “features” in firmware; in this case, speed.

Originally posted by FalcomPSX
Hey, i just thought i’d let you guys know, i bought a liteon 52246S today and was for some odd reason double labeled. Great i thought, it’s a RMA’d drive(i’m exchangeing it tomorrow). Well, let’s see why the replaced no only the serial # but the model # as well…Peel back a corner of the 52246S label to find what? a 48246S label! Liteon definately only makes one batch and just set’s their speed via firmware… I’ll post a pic later, if i get a chance before i return this supposedly “new” drive.

I would be interested to see that pic of your drive.

Originally posted by FalcomPSX
Sorry, no pics.

let me see if i can find it at my work. I’m not sure if we’ve sent it back yet or if it’s still in the store.

Originally posted by damiandimitri
an other example is the new ati radeon 9100, which is a 8500 with new firmware
They simply changed the model number because the old 8500 LE was faster than the 9000. In fact, I think the 9100 is clocked slightly slower than the 8500LE.

It is more than likely that the higher-error rate drives are slowed down and sold as 48x. (Similar to how CPUs are assigned speeds according to their clockability.)

How about you try the Read EEPROM command in KProbe and see what you find. That’ll be interresting!

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=73738#73738