Overclocking Help Please

vbimport

I have been looking for the best stable OC I can run for my Asus P5Q SE/R , Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz , G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel , and VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB

I cant find anything really and Im a total noob at OC-ing. Any help would be great! Thanks:bow:

Im attempting to get the best performance out of these components will maintaining top stability and lowest possible heat. I have a good cooler a Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm so it can handle a little more heat but I dont want to go overboard.

So you need a few free utilities to help you out. Memtest86+ is for testing the ram, you make a bootable CD/USB and you check the stability of the memory BEFORE booting into the OS. Then to monitor temperatures you get ‘Coretemp’. To stress test the PC while monitoring the temperature you get ‘Prime95’ and choose the torture test.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed before doing any OC’ing.

First thing you should do is lower the multiplier that sets your RAM speed, effectively changing your ram from 800Mhz to 667Mhz. You have to do that to ensure the ram will be stable, when you OC the CPU the ram speed will increase and come back up to 800 (this is not important though). RAM speed is far less important than CPU speed.

If your CPU voltage is set to AUTO you are going to want to manually set that so that the BIOS doesn’t automatically increase it too much. Then all you have to do is start to gradually increase the FSB (steps of 20 should be good) speed and then boot into Memtest86+ to ensure the RAM is stable (for maybe 10 minutes) and then go into your OS (turn off the internet) and don’t access anything important to you because you have to make sure the OS is stable. Then run one of Prime95’s torture tests and monitor the temperatures in coretemp you probably don’t want to go over 70C.

You might want to back up any important data before starting because there is the chance that the OS will become corrupt. If you understand what your doing then it shouldn’t happen.

I have CoreTemp already from when I first built the computer. I have the latest BIOS as well. I will download all the software and follow your instructions. I will report back with the results soon. Thanks for the help!

I just noticed that memtest is already on my computers due to dual boot with Ubuntu and my custom build and Mint 9 on my laptop…this project is taking time but I will report back soon

Just make sure its “memtest86+” and not another.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2533396]Just make sure its “memtest86+” and not another.[/QUOTE]

Checked it again and it is memtest86 for certain