Overclocking! Do use it? and on what?

vbimport

Ok, it seems like we never talk about this but Im sure most of us know what, how, and when about overclocking. Give us some of your trial and errors or your success story about how you overclock your system/graphic card. What the results was of your overclocking. The more details that you post, the better as it might help somebody else with their system.

I got a Pentium Celeron system which is originally a 600MHz processor.

It’s installed on an Asus CUBX motherboard (one of the few that came with overlocking warranty) and the cpu is overlocked to 900MHz , works like a charm. Too bad the cache capacity of Celerons suck that bad. Heat dissipation is done by adding extra passive cooling elements to the cpu core.

None of my other systems are overlocked, they’re fast enough by themselves.

Oh yeah :slight_smile:

Athlon mobile 2600+ (cos mobiles aren’t multiplier locked) running at 2.3Ghz (3200++) with a 405MHz FSB, with room to move later :wink:

It has a thermalright SLK900A (Huge Copper biatch) with Arctic Silver 5.
Default voltage, multiplier dropped to 11, FSB increased from 266 to 400Mhz for maximum throughput.

1 large 120mm Sunon 120CFM fan sucking air out the back, two small 80mm rifle bearing (quiet) fans blowing air across the (4) HD’s. 1 fan blowing air across the video card.

Video card set to standard speed, don’t need any more heat, and performance difference will be minimal.

Just voted for yes and no. about 6 month ago i was runnig the athlon 2200+ @ app. 2.15 GHz. but I’ve set the sys back to normal settings now. the 0.3 GHz + made not a big difference.

I’m also a member of overclock.net, which has pushed my cpu and gpu performance to a point where I can hold off on an upgrade. Folding is fun!:slight_smile:

i only overclock my old systems to see how far i can push them and I might overclock my video card if i want better preformance but i got me an ATI EAX700 256 GDDR3 so there is no need for it right now

I only overclocked my CPU (P4 Prescott) from 2,4GHz to 3GHz (or FSB 133->167).
Thats enough for me.
I used to overclock my GFX card, too.
But I fried my 9600Pro that way so my 9800Pro runs at default clock rates.

My amd 64 3500+ is overclocked to 2,4, standard is 2,2
My Geoforce 6800 le is oc to 400 gpu / 900 ram standard is 300/700. I flash the bios to a 6800 GT.

All on stock cooling. So you ask why I do it? because I can, I cant help it, its a sickness. Everything has to be pressed to the limit.

My main computer has a nice little mild overclock of aprox athlon xp2500@3200 (actually I think it is more like 3150). I just kicked the fsb up to 400 to match the memory. I have been doing some improving on cpu cooling so I have been considering going further but I’m not sure how comfortable I am overclocking my memory (I’ll have to do a little more research on it). My radion 8500 is overclocked from 285mhz to 305 on the mem and processor (thats about all it would do with stock cooling). I might try some extreme cooling and a higher overclock on it one of these days. I have another 8500 if I blow that one up but I would like to use it in another computer. I have just been to lasy to change it (its currently running a radion 7000).

I dont overclock, then again I suppose flashing DVD burners to burn at faster speeds is kind of overclocking…

Hmm I guess I OC about anything I can… my desktop CPU’s are overclocked and so are my graphic cards, burners and even the little train beneath the xmas tree :wink:

If the components are good enough for overclocking, why not? :slight_smile: My first overclocking experiment was done on a Pentium 100MHz processor. Pentium 120MHz and 133MHz were far more expensive but it was very easy to overclock 100MHz to 166MHz. Some of the 120MHz processors were overclockable to over 200MHz with 66MHz or higher FSB, but I had only one real 120MHz for my dual Soyo motherboard at one time.

The most deciding factor, again, is electricity cost. Which is better?

1. To use the latest Centrino processor running at 1.7GHz
  2. To use Athlon Thunderbird 1.33GHz and overclock it to 1.7GHz

Option 1 is more economical for me.

Latest Athlon 64 Winchester and Prescott processors are much more evolved but I want more-featured chipsets for them. Asus 925XE full-featured motherboard on Feb 09, 2005 = US$300 lowest price in Seoul.

well think of it this way guys if you have something that can do 200 but it is going 100 dont you want that 100 more cpu or whatever you over clock.
Me i overclock everything cpu grapics card,sound card even my burner i want the power it can do. :wink:

I’ve got my 2500+@3200+ on stock cooling (40fsb to match ram also) on a a7n8x-x, along with my trusty 401s@411s

Electricity must really cost a lot there… I live in Texas (but I’m from up north) so I run air conditioning 8 months out of the year. I can litterally run everthing in may apartment (lights on 24-7 etc, computers always on etc. leave the tv’s on, and not even compare a little bit to the air cdonditioning cost (ot that I really leave all that on all the time).

LMAO.
I keep seeing a little train spinning like a freak around a christmas tree.

AMD Athlon XP 2500 @ 3200 (stock cooling)
ASUS v9999gt 6800GT 350/700 @ 405/910 (stock cooling)

I’ve been overclocking since I pushed my 386 12MHz to 16MHz.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 2300mhz (230x10) @ 1.73v (slk-800a heatsink)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2500mhz (313x8) @ 1.52v (stock cooling)

Abit Geforce4 Ti4200 @ 300/550mhz @1.60v (OTES cooling)

Overclocking is addictive, don’t fight the urge! :wink:

I don’t bother. My dual p3-800 does me just fine. :slight_smile:

but I’m not sure how comfortable I am overclocking my memory (I’ll have to do a little more research on it)
RAM is usually the stopping or holding point. If you’ve got say DDR PC2700 core speed of 166mhz=333 FSB going more than say 344 can cause instability. 512 sticks work better than 1g usually. My RAM is the only thing holding me back, so I had to play with my multiplier instead. DDR PC3000 is the best minimum to start with. Dont forget to download prime95, and run the default torture test o/night. More than 4-6 hours running that with no errors means shes stable. Sometimes the system can seem stable after an o/clock, but prime will put the pressure on to see if it really is.