Overclocked 40125s warranty

Hi,
I just want to know if an overclocked 40125S (ZS0K) to 48125W (V06 & V08) and then downclocked again to 40125S (ZS0N) keeps its warranty or the burner keeps information about the different firmwares used in it.

Thanks.

The good news is that the burner hardware retains no record of different firmwares used.

The bad news is now that we know that you have violated your warranty, this has been seared into our memory and our high ethical standards will force us to report you to Lite-on. :cool:

underclocked… haha

Yeah man, we’re gonna report you to Lite-On’s customer service dept. So much for that warranty.

???:confused:???

I’m seriously speaking. The over-underclocked burner is working fine but i want to know that just in case one day it doesn’t work so fine.
Thanks

Originally posted by Inertia
The good news is that the burner hardware retains no record of different firmwares used.

@E.T.: Inertia already answered your question.

Your warranty is void. The Lite-On police have been dispatched. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now let’s be gentle on E.T, he’s not from this world you know :wink:
Technically, your warranty is gone. However, if they don’t find out (and there is no way they can unless you tell them) I’m sure they will not notice and think that you still have warranty.
All of this is of course entirely un-ehtical and disgraceful… :slight_smile:

All this started when a friend told me that i should overclocked my burner, that it was so easy and it worked fine and … So i did it. OK. 48x, but only a few seconds faster. Then i read that an overclocked burner loses its warranty but a i prefer the warranty than a few seconds.

Kidding aside, did you backup the original firmware that’s in the Lite-On before you flash it to VS08? If you did, then you’re warranty’s still intact. Meaning, you’ll flash it back to the original firmware if anything goes wrong and you have to ship the drive back to Lite-On.

You can replace that drive in the US for about $40, hardly worth shipping it back for service, is it?
I have to confess, (please don’t turn me in), I once returned a drive that was having problems after O/C’ing and got a new one. I lay awake at night, wondering if I did the right thing.

A good night sleep or $40… it all depends how much you like sleep and how much you like $40.

Back up of the original firmware??? mmm, :confused: My friend did’t tell me anything about that. I just downloaded the ZS0N version from the liteon website a flash it. So i guess my warranty is gone. :eek: .

Originally posted by E.T.

So i guess my warranty is gone. :eek:

Don’t you worry, as I used to say it’s not virginity -> once it’s gone, it’s gone for good :bigsmile:
Unlike your case ->

Originally posted by Stoner

…you’ll flash it back to the original firmware …

…and ZS0K is not hard to find .

I thought i needed the original firmware of the burner. I thought it had a serial number or something to recognise the driver but you say any zsok firmware would do fine, don’t you?

Exactly ! :wink: Firmwares: LTR-40125S

Sorry for the confusion, E.T.. I thought you would know what to do. :slight_smile:

Lite-on doesn’t have a restrictive warranty policy. Even if a returned drive had overclocked firmware in it, if the drive is dead there is no way to determine this. If it is not dead, it can be reflashed to the firmware of the original model. Unlike some brands with inferior warranties, Lite-on makes no statements to my knowledge that normal firmware upgrading will void a warranty. In fact, they have a commendable practice of refining firmware with frequent updates.

They do not discourage or limit warranties due to firmware updates, only stating “It’s not necessary to upgrade the firmware of your opto-drive unless you meet problem.”

Ok, thanks to everyone and happy burning.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]Sorry for the confusion, E.T.. I thought you would know what to do. :slight_smile:

Lite-on doesn’t have a restrictive warranty policy. Even if a returned drive had overclocked firmware in it, if the drive is dead there is no way to determine this. If it is not dead, it can be reflashed to the firmware of the original model. Unlike some brands with inferior warranties, Lite-on makes no statements to my knowledge that normal firmware upgrading will void a warranty. In fact, they have a commendable practice of refining firmware with frequent updates.

They do not discourage or limit warranties due to firmware updates, only stating “It’s not necessary to upgrade the firmware of your opto-drive unless you meet problem.” [/B]

Just another reason why Lite-On rocks the burner scene. :slight_smile: