Overburning on 1640

vbimport

To start with, let me say my experience with DVD burners is limited to say the least. My LiteOn started giving me reliability issues lately and started wondering if time had not arrived for me to get a DVD burner… Looked around to make an enlightened choice and went ahead and bought a Benq 1640 last week along with some Ritek 16x media DVD+R (RITEK R04) which was the only available 16x media in the store. I immediately flashed the latest firmware and installed the sw. On my second burn, I wanted to overburn as I used to on CDs with Nero v6.6.16 and wondered what capability it had. I ended up burning at 16x 4 554 008K (what Total Commander reports on this CD) and CD Speed reports 4447MB.
While I had requested the burn to be done at 12x in Nero, the burn was done at 16x anyway.

Gilbert, full size DVD+R is 4482MB so your 4447MB burned disk is not considered as overburn, must be greater than 4482MB.

Only test, no real overburning, as Maxell 8x Dvd+R Media ID Maxell 002 4.649MB and Verbatim 16x Dvd-R Media ID MCC03RG20 4.596MB, Verbatim 16x Dvd+R Media ID MCC 004 no test because Cd/Dvd Speed told me write Dvd in Overburn Test.:frowning:
I have one Princo only, now. :frowning:

Thanks for this answer as I never knew exactly what the MB base was: decimal or the binary based one which can be confusing as the greater the number the more discrepancy there is and knowing which one is used by each software. There is also knowing what the numbers actually represent as there has to be space for the file table, lead-in, lead-out so I always was in the dark as to what actually was the real numbers for actual data to which one can take into account multiple sessions vs single one. I’ve never had a clear explanation or numbers that I could base myself on. I have a vague idea but it is vague… In fact I wonder if the lead-in is not the 1st copy of the file allocation table which, to me would be the listing of all the files contained on the CD/DVD as well as their respective position and the lead-out would be the final or second file allocation table?

I burned another DVD and am a little bit puzzled about the question of overburning size. I made a UDF compilation of 4 folders totalizing 4 638 871 884 bytes and when I asked Nero to burn it, it told me I was overburning with the caution messages and asked if I wanted to burn anyway. This time I noticed that even if my compilation info showed 12x burning, the last caption showed it would burn at 16x and changed it to 12x as I prefer a quality burn. Here is the result of my disc quality and benchmark.

Still not overburned though

Nero probably warned you since there’s more overhead needed for a UDF File System burn…

I did not have any choice to burn in UDF file mode since one of the file to burn was 4 548 536 832 bytes long (Acronis True image of one partition) and Nero warned such a long file needed UDF, to which I added 3 more folders of 33 735 728, 37 659 362 and 18 939 964 bytes. I’m starting to wonder if I should give UltraISO a try to create such an image?

yep, you need UDF for files larger than 1-2GB (limitation of ISO format)…i would make your TrueImage backups 700mb each, and put several on a single DVD…

BenQ 1640 overburn, yes or not?

Yes and no.

quikee : gimme me your MSN !!! :wink:

Even if you overburn Nero only allows a maximum of 4600MB or 4.49GB. I believe anything beyond that will cause errors if the DVD+R quality is made poorly.

there’s a reg hack to increase the max above 4600MB…but as you said, anything beyond that isn’t recommended…

SO what is the presente situation of overburning @ DVD+R with Nero with the newest FW?

Does anyone test it with a quality media like Verbatim DVD+R on save speed (4x/8x) ?

(my friends PX712 did not have one problem on several verbatim@8x @4600 MB )

Px712 overburn ok, Benq 1640 no. Simple test - done with Verbatim 8x - no overburn using Nero

This thread is very interesting.

I’ve seen that problem between + and - on various other drives regarding overburning dvd.

However, IMO overburning dvd is not a good idea. It will give you more trouble in the end. I would strictly avoid it for precious data. :wink:

PX-716A TLA0202 FW1.08
PR: On AS: On
Sony 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000T02) @ 8x
Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.16
OVERBURN to 4597MB
Scanned with BenQ 1640 BSLB

Plextor PX-716A + Sony YUDEN000 T02 = successful overburn :bigsmile:

can’t do this with very many drives…my 1640 definitely can’t…:disagree:

Hi chef, don’t think it’s going to be a problem after we see the 99 quality score from drpino scan above. I would also suggest using high quality media that we know the dye is evenly spreaded across the disc.

@drpino. Sweeeet burn!!!:clap: