Overburning on 1640

vbimport

Nice one!!

Thanks … As for the accuracy of the simulation about the princo media at the beginnign of the thread - the simulation here allows 4994 or thereabout MB’s - a practical burn resulted in a write error <4.5GB therefore proving that the simulations are not always accurate, but it was for other “quality discs”. It also was noticed that WOPC isn’t really enabled after the 4.38GB area …

I find that with solidburn/overspeed, you can only safely overburn 43MB on the plus discs before you hit the “calibration track”, with it off you can strike 4600Mb on the discs that are able without a problem … currently out of discs with overburn capability for testing - although TDK 8x +R/-R White Printables (CMCMAGE01, TTG02) have overburns to ~4625-4675MB according to simulations (we’ll have to find the real value) - but I think that’s my next target!

I tried a little more 4630 MB as I had to ask zevia how to get this to work so I could try it on my Plextor. This Batch of TY is not great and I use it mainly for testing so could be the reason for the increase in PIF at the end. Will try a better batch later.:slight_smile:
Overburn 4630 MB. Same settings as lui_gough OS/SB Off.

Tried a better batch of YUDEN000 T02. (1159)
QSuite set to OS/SB off Supported disc (non activated default).
Set to burn 4630 MB.

Nice ob crossg

seems like I was right about the SB calibration part of it … and here’s the image of my disc with the culprit track clearly visble! This is part of ErikDeppe’s problem since he reported quality issues and overburns usually burn into the area = this is a winner!

THANKS FOR BACKING ME UP crossg!

Yes I think you nailed the problem on the head.:iagree: :clap:

So the summary is the BenQ 1640 with firmware BSLB is able to overburn, tested with Nero CD-DVD Speed. However other applications (Nero Burning ROM for example) does not support this drive? Well, we can always use Nero CD-DVD Speed to overburn ISO image created by other applications. :slight_smile:

Can it? I tried an oversize NRG image and it spat out a problem -> Image too big … I was thinking and hoping Erik Deppe can solve it :slight_smile:

satisfied at myself I have done something that no one did before me!!! AHAHAHAA

Anyone tried contacting him to ask? I am not sure he reads this thread.

I pm’d him … but he doesn’t wanna be contacted by e-mail … :S

Thanks for the very useful information!
I will mention this to BenQ.

The current version of Nero CD-DVD Speed cannot overburn image files but I will change this.

Here are the first image overburning results:

The quality at the end is not very good but all files are readable.

I think BSLB does overburning better :slight_smile: - as above :slight_smile: or maybe it’s your discs :slight_smile:

Here’s an overburn using CMCMAGE01 Media … Not the best, but still good enough since disc was a pass over from a friend wid dust and scratches… 4664MB!!!

Erik? When will we ever get to burn good data there? those extra 100+MB’s … drools?

So I’m still confused. Benq 1640 can overburn provided that I have done all of the above:

1. have BSKB or later
  2. disabled SolidBurn
  3. burned an oversized image via NeroCDDVD speed

As I understand right now Nero Burning Rom does not support overburning either? So you cannot just drag and drop your files into a new compilation and overburn a disc? Correct?

well - right now, nero’s overburn won’t work for the reason the method of communicating the burn size to the burner causes an error. I tried to plug an oversized image into CD DVD Speed and it wouldn’t take it … maybe someone else can get it to work. Erik modified his software just for a quick test.

The rest is correct.

Well, it would seem all is there for benq1640 to overburn. Overburning was the only feature that actually made me consider Px716 so it would be great if ahead could get proper dvd overburning to work.

BTW I’m curious, when plextor people overburn dvds, do they use plextor software or just any burning software? I just want to know if the ahead burning rom software overburning problem is specific to benq1640 or just to any burner.

Any burning software can be used to overburn +R media with the plextor drives as long as the overburn function is enabled with plextools software.

adict

almost all is there - they need their commands fixed up - as well as the solidburn calibration fixed up since it interferes with overburns past 4545mb … must have a way to “disable” just for overburns automatically … and nero to support the correct command for overburn. I tried doing it on a CMCMAG.F01 and it didn’t work so maybe DVD-R doesn’t overburn!

DVD-R doesn’t work with Plextor either…