Overburning on 1640

vbimport

the curse of the 1640 :sad:

the Gods of DVD do not support to us… Nooooooooooooo whyyy

I do not lose the hope :bow:

registry hack to enable overburning above 4600MB in Nero Burning ROM (reg hack is for 4650 but i’m not quite sure what DWORD value corresponds to what MB value though):
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1038036&postcount=2

I’m really astounded about the amount of interest that’s here (especially after my successful overburn). Thank you to Quikee, LIGHTNING UK!, Erik Deppe and all others! The DVD Tool by Quikee works well for the moment, we can use that till something else better comes along.

I look forward to the final product - a fully documented drive and hopefully implementation of overburn for our own and also authoring programs.

here look - from the review at http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=15369

How does it work?
Before the disc is burned, the drive writes two very short tracks, one in the LeadIn and one in the LeadOut area of the disc. Then the drive measures the jitter on both areas and decides if this jitter value is OK or not. If not, the drive will choose another writing strategy and redo the test until the Jitter is acceptable. After this, the drive writes your data on the disc, with the best possible writing strategy, which was found by SolidBurn.

Exactly as I discovered!

Ok, I don’t have access to an BenQ 1640, I only have a (now old) 1620 model.

As I’d like someone to test ImgBurn for I attempt a ‘final’ release this weekend, doesn anyone fancy giving it a try?

I’d prefer it to be Quikee as he’d be able to provide the best feedback! (in technical programming terms).

If you’re up for the task, drop me a PM, or email the imgburn ‘support’ address (as found in the programs ‘About’ box).

As an IMGBurn Beta Tester, I am glad to announce that I have tested IMGBurn Beta Version 1.0.0.8 and IT IS ABLE TO OVERBURN OVERSIZED IMAGES SUCCESSFULY!

Here is a screenshot and the LOG file for your enjoyment.

All thanks to LIGHTNING UK!

Scan coming shortly.

Edit:

SCAN UPLOADED!

Cheers for that and I’m glad to hear it worked ok :slight_smile:

Awesome work LUK! and Quikee!

We need a new thread with OB results. :smiley:

yes… new overburning thread, good idea. :clap:

Nice work Lightning UK!
Tell us please when the final ImgBurn release will be available (hopefully very soon).
This really deserves a donation.

Tell us please when the final ImgBurn release will be available (hopefully very soon).

By the weekend I would hope.

I am assuming overburning is still only possible with +R media, like with the Plextor drives. Or am I wrong?

Yes i think you are right for the moment. I tried 3 times to overburn a 4600mb image to a CMCMAG.AE1 disc, it burnt, and failed to finalise at the last step :frowning:

to hope :iagree: , not to hope :disagree: , To hope :iagree:

I will wait to weekend… thank you :stuck_out_tongue:

As I said, I don;t think overburning -R is possible – here is a screenie of IMGBURN trying to start an oversized image with DVD-R (CMCMAG.AE1)

We get a problem with the Reserve Track Command.

I also tried Create Data Disc in CDSpeed v4.08 - Notice it burns up to the area … then fails with a write error.

I was burning 4610MB to it - so maybe the media can’t handle it - let me try 4500MB.

Still no success!

Reinserting the disc makes it appear blank like so:

Here’s some fun - see the burn speed graph :slight_smile: - this is burning that blank that was already burnt for a second time :slight_smile: - nice little rings :slight_smile:

See how desperate the WOPC was? Trying its best to fix things up … and see how it kicked out just at the end? maybe that’s why my burns spike a bit at the end

Forgot to turn off overburn so it’s still blank - this time i’ll try burning it a 3rd time just for fun :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: The disc is NOT blank, just not finalized in a propper way…

I would like to issue a warning to other members because right now nobody knows if/and what kind of harm this “multi reburning” eventually can do to your drive.

BTW, I had the same experience yesterday when trying to overburn a DVD-R. Finally it burned with a NEC (specified size) but the disc is not readable. :doh:

Well - i know it isn’t- i just did that for fun!

I don’t think there’s too much of a problem because the re-burning tends to use less laser - subsequent burns do less work on the layer … or so it seems

It’s only a small wear on the focus / tracking as the WOPC constantly kicks in …

I don’t mind - with 3 benq’s :slight_smile:

My liteon has done this one like many times - it’s like i had done it probaly 70 times, also sabotaging EEPROM and burning strage rings, overspeeding till i got silver discs … harsh treatment, but it’s burns are still star quality on the RICOHJPNR01… [do not try this at home - laser burn out is definitely an issue at that power].

A few hours ago Erik D. posted link to Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.10, explaining he added image overburning (ISO,NRG) capacity… :clap:
Let’s try it out.

Well done Erik. :bow:

Burned a small ISO image for testing. 1640 f/w BSLB, QSuite2 everything default.
Looks pretty good. :smiley: