Sorry if I’m double posting.

Burner:
LiteOn 401@811 w/ HSOK firmware.

Applications:
Nero v5.5.10.56 & BurnatOnce v0.99b.

Media:
Kodak CD-R Ultima 80 (12x) 700 mb/ 80 min &
Digital Research (Ritek) (32x) 700 mb/ 80 min

Lately I decided to backup a lot of data (software) I have on my computer.

Using BurnatOnce, I noticed that what I loaded about 570 mb to be burned on the Kodak, the application indicated that " 570 MB to be written to disc (850 MB free)".

When I tried the same files but this time with the Ritek media I get the following message " 570 MB to be written to disc (703 MB Free)".

I then decide to use Nero CD Speed -->Extra–>Overburning Test. With test capacity set at 99.57.00. START. I then get the following message " Writing stopped without an error. Use a larger value of the maximum capacity."

This message I got for both the Ritek and Kodak media.

What the hell is going on. Is the kodak media really capable of recording 850 MB even though it is rated for 700 MB data?

Is nero cd speed validating what BurnatOnce is indicating.

Are these Kodak CD-R media that special?

Am I doing something wrong?

And how do you use a larger value in the Nero CD speed than 99.57.00?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Some drives (especially Lite-On drives) have a bug when doing the overburn test in Nero CD-Speed so most discs will show up as capable of being overburned very much.

My guess is that you may overburn to somewhere areound 81-83 minutes on thoses discs.

I don’t know what that different space reporting issue is…

In newer Nero CD-Speed versions (2.11.x at least) you could type in values higher than 100 minutes…

Overburning CD-R capacity

Strengthen the stability of the " OVERBURN " function

Gentlemen thank you for your responses.

(1) again my apologies for double posting.

(2) The version of CD Speed that I’m using is v1.02g. It came with nero v5.5.10.56. Why am I not using v6.xx.xx. For some reason I still like this build.

(3) Is there a newer version of CD Speed (alone) that I can load with Nero v5.5.10.56? Don’t know if it’ll make any difference if the problem lies with the LiteOn firmware.

(4) As I stated my drive is the LiteOn 401S@811S with firmware HSOK. I know that there is a more recent firmware, but the concensus seems to be that this newer firmware doesn’t produce better results with DVD-R media. Not that I’m using such media (yet). I’m still a CD-R(w) person and DVD+R(W).

(5) assuming that it is a firmware issue, I guess it is a safe bet that either media (kodak CD-R 12x 80 min or Ritek CD-R 32x 80 min ) will overburn safely to about 730 MB and NOT 850 MB as BurnatOnce is showing.

Should I live with this issue and play it safe when overburning or flash to the latest firmware, HSOP.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by iamsam909

(3) Is there a newer version of CD Speed (alone) that I can load with Nero v5.5.10.56? Don’t know if it’ll make any difference if the problem lies with the LiteOn firmware.

(4) As I stated my drive is the LiteOn 401S@811S with firmware HSOK.
Should I live with this issue and play it safe when overburning or flash to the latest firmware, HSOP.

(5) assuming that it is a firmware issue, I guess it is a safe bet that either media (kodak CD-R 12x 80 min or Ritek CD-R 32x 80 min ) will overburn safely to about 730 MB and NOT 850 MB as BurnatOnce is showing.

1. Here’s the latest CD Speed > [COLOR=blue]NeroCDSpeed_211.zip

I don’t believe this will heal your pain. It’s the drive/reader/writer that reads your media, not the software.
Try another drive, as far as I can recall LiteOn and Plextor do work w CDSpeed.
At the time while the LiteOn failed to determine the disc capacity, the Plex did its job flawlessly.
Besides, my Plextor has always given me more “generous” times, so to say.

Also, if you have Feurio, it can do the same job regarding the disc capacity.

Yet, as I told you in the other thread, it’s all about the FW.
If you read the given links carefully, you’d get the picture.

1. You have to compromise when it comes to HS0P.
    “the concensus seems to be that this newer firmware doesn’t produce better results with DVD-R media.”
    It doesn’t say it produces worse results. It maybe has its advantages, right ?
    Trust your own experience !

2. As for overburning, I do not think that 730 MB is a safe bet. You never know until it’s proven for sure.
    This might give you a clue :[/COLOR]

Originally posted by BoSkin

An average CD of 82’ contains 720 MB of data or 827 MB of audio ( TY - approx. 15 MB more ).

Thanks, BoSkin.

The information you supplied has been very helpful.

Originally posted by iamsam909

Thanks, BoSkin.

The information you supplied has been very helpful.
Thanks ! :smiley: