Overburning a DVD

I was wondering if anybody has tried overburning a DVD and what results did they get + did it damage their burner?

The discs I use say the capacity is 4489MB on Disc but I want to burn 4555MB.

Would this be a major problem? Trying to burn an extra 66MB?

Burner I’m using Lite-On SOHW-1693S KS0B + Nero 6.6.0.15

You cannot overburn DVD media on your LiteOn 1693S.

Only a few DVD burners can overburn DVD+R media (Plextor PX-712/716/755/760, BenQ DW1655/1650/1640, and perhaps a few others) and I can’t think of any DVD burner that can overburn DVD-R media.

OK. Thanks.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1980348]You cannot overburn DVD media on your LiteOn 1693S.

Only a few DVD burners can overburn DVD+R media (Plextor PX-712/716/755/760, BenQ DW1655/1650/1640, and perhaps a few others) and I can’t think of any DVD burner that can overburn DVD-R media.[/QUOTE]

This is a hardware limitation or maybe there are some firmware patches that can enable DVD overbirning with LITE-ON 1693S?

[quote=arnix;2075171]This is a hardware limitation or maybe there are some firmware patches that can enable DVD overbirning with LITE-ON 1693S?[/quote] I don’t know if it’s a hardware or firmware limitation, but I suspect it’s firmware.

Unless you have the skills to modify firmware yourself, the question is purely academic.

In my opinion, overburning DVD media is generally a bad idea, and I have three different drives that can actually do it, but I never use it except for testing purposes.

The outer edge of the disc is more likely to have bad production quality and is more likely to receive fingerprints, scuff marks and scratches, so most of the time I prefer to not even use the full normal capacity (except to fill it up with redundant ECC information with DVDisaster).

Suit yourself, but IMO it’s not worth it even if you do have the skills to modify your LiteOn 1693S to overburn on DVD+R media.

Thank you for quick reply.

I don’t know if it’s a hardware or firmware limitation, but I suspect it’s firmware.

Unless you have the skills to modify firmware yourself, the question is purely academic.

I have skills of modifying sony-ericsson mobile phones firmwares (with ARM processors), but I’ve never had any deal with cd/dvd-rom firmwares. So I don’t think it could be easy for me.

In my opinion, overburning DVD media is generally a bad idea, and I have three different drives that can actually do it, but I never use it except for testing purposes.

The outer edge of the disc is more likely to have bad production quality and is more likely to receive fingerprints, scuff marks and scratches, so most of the time I prefer to not even use the full normal capacity (except to fill it up with redundant ECC information with DVDisaster).

Suit yourself, but IMO it’s not worth it even if you do have the skills to modify your LiteOn 1693S to overburn on DVD+R media.

I also prefer to leave 50-100 MBs of free space when burning DVDs, but in this particular case the data that I’m going to write is just 46 MB greater than DVD+/-R capacity and I need to write it on one media (please don’t ask to compress it, because it is already well-compressed) and I know that it is possible to overburn DVD discs up to 100 MBs. So I think I must try to burn with some other device (i.e. Plextor) that support overburning or use a DL DVD.

Anyway, thank you for your reply.