Overburning 74min & 80 CD-R's in Nero?

Hi Everyone. Thanks to an earlier reply on a related topic, I’m looking to preserve some mpegs I’ve previously made into VCD’s. Now I’m looking to preserve the mpegs onto a standard data CD. Most of my mpegs are around 21-23 mins long, so I would like to try & fit 4 onto a CD-R, however I’m clueless about overburning!
(about 84-92 mins, per disc)

I’m using Nero 5.5.8.2 & an Asus 4012a CDRW drive. Generally,I use either Mistsui Gold 12x 74min CD-R’s & Kodak Silver & Gold Ultima 80min 12x CD-R’s for my CD-R media. Does the brand of CDR, or your burner make a difference?

1. What is a “safe” overburn limit for Mitsui Gold,(or indeed other brand), 74min CD-R’s.

2. What is a safe overburn for the Kodak Ultima 80min Silver & Gold discs?

What tools within Nero can determine the overburn limits, & how do you set them with creating a Data disk on Nero? Are these settings possible to fix using the Nero wizard?

Will overburining mpeg files make a difference to the overburn limitations?
Thanks for your help!:confused:

Note that Data CDs don’t hold as much data as Video CDs as Video CDs (like audio CDs) use less error correction information than standard data CDs.

A 650MB CD = 740MB as a Video/Audio CD
A 700MB CD = 800MB as a Video/Audio CD

I’ve been able to overburn by at least 15MB without problems with the exception of an occasional leadout failure (doesn’t affect reading) on both 650MB and 700MB CDs, but anymore and I start to get ‘Sync Errors’, etc.

Standard Video CD MPEG uses roughly 10MB / 1 minute of Video, so divide 10MB in the CD size in MB to get how much video will fit if written as a standard CD.

I.e.
650MB CD = 65 minutes data mode; 74 minutes Video CD mode.
700MB CD = 70 minutes data mode; 80 minutes Video CD mode.
800MB CD = 80 minutes data mode; 90 minutes Video CD mode.

Thank you seanbryne. Looks like I’m going to be limited to 3 mpegs per CD. I had been aware that the Video CD format held more than a data CD, but I wasn’t sure how much extra overburn storage a standard data CD could hold.

if using a 700 mbyte cdr the most it can hold without problems is 807 mbyte;) :smiley:

Originally posted by 2ndsign
if using a 700 mbyte cdr the most it can hold without problems is 807 mbyte;) :smiley:

Untrue. I’ve been able to burn, on many occasions, over 720mb on a 700 mb cd. Of course, I had to lower the burn speed to 4x but it was worth it just to keep all my cd’s in perfect numerical order. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by animecabbit
[B]

Untrue. I’ve been able to burn, on many occasions, over 720mb on a 700 mb cd. Of course, I had to lower the burn speed to 4x but it was worth it just to keep all my cd’s in perfect numerical order. :slight_smile: [/B]

true you can do this but all cds are not the same.i said without problems.807 is a good limit.:wink: ive burned over this too but some burners have trouble reading the overburn.:bigsmile:

its all about what the atip says. absolute lead out time generally means end of the line :wink: