Out of these SATA drives which has the best quality burn

vbimport

Of these SATA drives which one provides the best quality burn with the fewest errors.

Lite-On SH-16A7S-05
Pioneer DVR-212DBK
Samsung SH-S183L
Lite-On LH-20A1S
Asus DRW-1814BLT
Plextor PX-755SA

I would like to get a SATA drive so I can have an all SATA system but if there is an IDE drive with MUCH better quality than any of the ones above please mention it.

SATA drives are still in their infancy and a lot depends on your motherboard chipset. If you want to play it safe, stick with an IDE drive for now. My favorite, Pioneer 111D.

If you can get the 755SA without spending a whole lot, I’d recommend it. Plextor has more experience with SATA burners than any manufacturer. Just be sure to check the compatibility charts for Plextor SATA burners for ALL models, not just the 755SA.

I have the Plextor PX-755SA. Excellent drive but costly. I am considering a Pioneer DVR-212, but I am waiting for the firmware to mature and user experience. I have an LG on IDE that I want to replace, but I write to DVD-RAM on occasion. I hope that the Pioneer can be cross-flashed to add DVD-RAM writing support… it’s wait and see… Else I hold out for an LG when they have a SATA drive that is simply available (I have heard of the GSA-H30N SATA drive from LG, but I’ve never seen it here in the states).

Keep in mind, there is no benefit whatsoever for an SATA optical drive. On the downside, they are more expensive, they are not compatible with many chipsets, and they limit your choices. You could also be stuck with a drive that has a very short lifespan as far as updates go, especially if the manufacturer makes early changes.

so the Pioneer 111D is one of the top dogs in IDE, any others?