Out of memory not enough storage with DVD Shrink

vbimport

I had always do it this way and I never ever once seen such an error before like out of memory not enough storage with DVD Shrink. This is how I done it.

I rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter to my hard drive which leaves it compressed which exceeds 4.7GB, so after ripping I run it through DVD Shrink in full disc and not re-author and use automatic compression and than backup and burn with ImgBurn to 4.7GB SL DVDs. This time when compressing with DVD Shrink it goes down to 5 minutes remaining and gives an error. The name of the DVD is Deadwood Season 1 Disc 2.

How do I fix this error?

I do not know anything about DVD Shrink, but a lot of programs require at least double the free space on a HDD to work, it uses a temp storage space and then the regular space to write the files, then will delete the temp storage after the final write. Just a thought

Marty

Yes, I do know that and I have plenty of space I mean a lot.

Give me a bit to search .
I know I’ve read about this problem before.

[QUOTE=cholla;2733358]Give me a bit to search .
I know I’ve read about this problem before.[/QUOTE]

Great. Thank you! OK, I’ll give you time :slight_smile:

The problem has multiple causes but in your case I suspect DVD Decrypter is not decrypting well enough .
Try the trial of AnyDVD or DVDFab You can use DVDFab after the trial as a decrypter it just won’t compress the DVD.

There is also the free DVDFab Passkey Lite.
It just won’t do new releases so you have to wait for 60 days or so & update it.

Another reason :Out of memory is a problem caused by sectors on a disc designed to cause an out of memory problem when ripping.

If it isn’t the decryption then the commercial disc you are trying to copy may be a “bad” disc.

I even read about improper naming sometimes causing this error.
if to movie titile looks like this" C:&lt; MOVIE_TITLE >\ THE < > can cause this problem.

Funny thing it is almost never caused by being “out of memory” .

Hi cholla,

With DVDFab and decrypting it than I could run it through DVD Shrink to compress? Or if not DVD Shrink to compress than what is a good standalone to compress DVDs that is freeware? And should I also uninstall DVD Decrypter for good?

DVDDecrypter still works on many DVD’s and has some advanced features (such as ripping individual titles) that are not found on a fair number of other decrypters. So, no, don’t uninstall it.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is still free to use, but there are some issues for US citizens. Ask in our DVDFab forum for detailed instructions on the program, or wait for cholla to come back in here, since I am not a DVDFab user.

You should be able to compress a movie that is decrypted by DVDFab using DVDShrink. You will get higher quality results using DVD Rebuilder (there is a free version). DVD Rebuilder is especially good for compression of large DVD’s, that push the limits of visual quality when using a transcoder like DVDShrink or CloneDVD.

DVD Rebuilder isn’t as fast as DVDShrink, and DVD Rebuilder does not decrypt anything by itself.

If DVDFab decrypts is DVDShrink should compress it .
I can say this always works but usually does.

I haven’t tried DVDShrink using just DVDFab’s Passkey Lite.
The reason is AnyDVD & it don’t like to be installed at the same time.
Since I have the lifetime license for AnyDVD HD I usually use it .
I usually rip full movie with CloneDVD2.
I then compress that with one of 3 programs depending on what I think will work best.
CloneDVD2 can compress. & DVDShrink can also as you know. Both of these are transcoders. If the compression needed is light (meaning not much needed) & if the movie doesn’t have that many high action scenes they are fine . Actually good .
If you want better but taking a lot more time use DVDRebuilder . The free version is what I use but it has less features than the paid version. I’ve tweaked mine a bit . HCEnc is the encoder to use with it. It comes with it.

Hi Kerry,

I am not sure if I am understanding, but are you saying to rip my DVDs with DVDFab and use DVD Rebuilder free to compress/shrink to SL? If yes, how do I use DVD Rebuilder to compress?

[QUOTE=php111;2733367]Hi Kerry,

I am not sure if I am understanding, but are you saying to rip my DVDs with DVDFab and use DVD Rebuilder free to compress/shrink to SL? If yes, how do I use DVD Rebuilder to compress?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is what I meant.

There are several guides to DVD Rebuilder listed on this page at Videohelp.com: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Rebuilder

I am confused because I do not know which one of those guides to follow to do one thing only and that is compressing DVDs.

The basic guide at doom9 is better: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdrb.htm

Ignore anything to do with the commercial encoders, and just choose to use the HCenc encoder that is included with the program.

Edit: just looked through a couple of those guides, and changed the recommended one. :slight_smile:

Kerry & I are repeating a bit but that shows you are on the right track.

If I were you I would just continue with DVDShrink for most compression.
Play around with DVDRebuilder as you have time to learn it.

I’m not sure about this but try the DVDFab version 8.2.3.0 .
http://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm
About half way down the page under "Still Available"
I’m not certain if it has the problem for US citizens.
The later version 9’s have the problem for US citizens .
Read about how to circumvent & download a copy that works if you want to.
I never plan to get it. I can’t test the free use because I have a lifetime platinum license for DVDFab copy & ripper.

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Yes, cholla is right. Stick with Shrink for the most part, but if you run into a very large movie and are not satisfied with the results, give DVD Rebuilder a try.

I quit using Shrink for compression many years ago, and went entirely to DVD Rebuilder Pro personally, but I’m picky.

And these days, I almost never compress DVD’s anymore, since I don’t buy them. Have gone entirely to Blu-ray.

If you want a simple free decrypter to use with DvdShrink when the files ripped with Dvd Decrypter fail, try DvdSmith.

It’s a little slower than Dvd Decrypter but handles virtually all modern DVD protections and its output works just fine with DvdShrink. :slight_smile:

Thank you so very much!!! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2733372]Kerry & I are repeating a bit but that shows you are on the right track.

If I were you I would just continue with DVDShrink for most compression.
Play around with DVDRebuilder as you have time to learn it.

I’m not sure about this but try the DVDFab version 8.2.3.0 .
http://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm
About half way down the page under "Still Available"
I’m not certain if it has the problem for US citizens.
The later version 9’s have the problem for US citizens .
Read about how to circumvent & download a copy that works if you want to.
I never plan to get it. I can’t test the free use because I have a lifetime platinum license for DVDFab copy & ripper.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=philamber;2733375]If you want a simple free decrypter to use with DvdShrink when the files ripped with Dvd Decrypter fail, try DvdSmith.

It’s a little slower than Dvd Decrypter but handles virtually all modern DVD protections and its output works just fine with DvdShrink. :)[/QUOTE]

Great thank you!! :slight_smile:

I had some time so I installed the “trial” version of DVDFab 8.2.3.0 on my laptop with Windows 7 64 . It had DVDFab on it at one time with the registration key but this had been completely uninstalled. So it came up in the DVDFab "Welcome to DVDFab " window with the trial expired. That was what I wanted . That way I knew it would use HD Decrypter (the free after trial) part.
I ripped a commercial DVD movie to a hard drive with no problem. I used “full movie” .
I then opened the files in DVDShrink also using Full Disc as you did.
Then automatic compression and then backup as you did.
I don’t ever autoburn with any software so I don’t have DVDShrink set to burn with ImgBurn but I do use the version that has this feature.
It compressed the movie to the 4.35GB size to a folder on my hard drive.
I didn’t test burn it but I have no doubt it will burn to a DVD.
So DVDFab HD Decrypter & DVDShrink still work well together.

On a side note since you use the autoburn with ImgBurn . I think a possibility could be “bad” media that you are burning to. So try the process to a hard drive first & then burn from the hard drive to a DVD disc.
If the last suggestion was the problem it is possible that DVD Decrypter might go ahead & work.